Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Recommended bushings for 99 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recommended bushings for 99 Camaro

Hey!

I have a 99 Camaro LS1 6speed manual which I have next to no service info on. The car has done 176'000 kilometers, which would be about 110'000 miles.

I figured I should do bushings when fall comes, and as I live in Norway, I should buy them within a month or so to be sure that I get them from US in due time.

There are many bushings and other items which may be changed in the suspension to make the car fresh, but from what I gather these are the bushings that we have (please correct me if there's more):

Front:
Front control arm. (Is there an upper and lower?)
Stabilizer/Sway bar bushing.
Rack and pinion bushing
Tie rod ends (only on outer I believe)

Rear:
Lower control arm.
Stabilizer/Sway bar bushing.
Track Bar/Panhard Bar.
Bump stops.

Other:
1 transmission mount.
Motor mount front left and front right.

Are any of these worth buying polyurethane? I'm looking for a daily driver kind of thing, it will see minimum to no track usage.
Also, is it worth buying LCA which are tubular and with polyurethane?
Old 06-24-2022, 07:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I went through almost all of mine a couple of years ago at abour 175k. Here is what I remember:

Front control arms: I did lowers with Moog bushings. Not much rides on the uppers.
Stabilizer/Sway bar bushing: Urethane is good here, for the end links as well.
Rack and pinion bushing: Did not do.
Tie rod ends (only on outer I believe). Mine were and continue to be fine at 197k

Rear:
Lower control arms: Moog "ILE" bushings
Stabilizer/Sway bar bushings: Urethane again here and on end links
Track Bar/Panhard Bar: Don't recall if I replaced those. Don't think so.
Bump stops: Mine are original.

Other:
1 transmission mount: Factory style rubber. Urethane will transmit vibrations.
Motor mount front left and front right: Definitely urethane. They transmitted vibrations for about a month and then settled in. Once they're installed, you'll never have to replace them again.

The following users liked this post:
Redsent (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the response!
How did the car end up riding? Was it rather trackday-ish or still quite like an original car?
Old 06-25-2022, 10:11 AM
Pontiacerator

Like original. I had some clunking noises that were cured by replacing the sway bar bushings. My worn out motor mounts caused a grinding sound at idle. That was cured with the urethane mounts. As I said, those produced vibrations for the first month or two of driving, but that went away and it feels like stock now.

One thing I forgot to mention was ball joints. I replaced those as well with Moog units. It's worth doing if you're also doing the control arm bushings.

And if you haven't replaced the shocks, you'll absolutely want to do that too.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Like original. I had some clunking noises that were cured by replacing the sway bar bushings. My worn out motor mounts caused a grinding sound at idle. That was cured with the urethane mounts. As I said, those produced vibrations for the first month or two of driving, but that went away and it feels like stock now.

One thing I forgot to mention was ball joints. I replaced those as well with Moog units. It's worth doing if you're also doing the control arm bushings.

And if you haven't replaced the shocks, you'll absolutely want to do that too.
Would you be able to point me in the right direction of where to buy things? Did you buy it in a bunch of different places or from a single website?
Old 06-25-2022, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I'd suggest getting a set of Founders rear control arms which have 3 piece bushings. They ride like stock but are much beefier.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:49 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Redsent
Would you be able to point me in the right direction of where to buy things? Did you buy it in a bunch of different places or from a single website?
A bunch of different sites.You have to search for the parts you want, on here or on Google.RockAuto can get you a lot of what you need, you just have to navigate through their site. Urethane products can be found on the BMR website, among others..

Quick Reply: Recommended bushings for 99 Camaro