Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock/spring upgrade fbody

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock/spring upgrade fbody

Hey all! I am looking to purchase brand new shocks/springs for my 2000 camaro ss

I would like to replace all necessary parts on the front shocks. I am either going with koni yellow or bilstein shocks.

Can anyone point me into the right direction of what parts to replace? Or maybe a list of the parts that do not come with the new shocks??
Old 09-20-2022, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Stating the cars use or why you want to upgrade usually helps with recommendations.

Blanket recommendation would be Koni Yellow 4/4s and Strano springs. Tried and true and usually meets most people’s needs. I’d skip on the Bilsteins.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Stating the cars use or why you want to upgrade usually helps with recommendations.

Blanket recommendation would be Koni Yellow 4/4s and Strano springs. Tried and true and usually meets most people’s needs. I’d skip on the Bilsteins.
I am looking into koni yellow sports. Any recommendation on where to purchase?
Old 09-21-2022, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonarin96
Strange Performance Parts. He's a forum sponsor, has outstanding knowledge of suspension set up for these cars and very helpful in helping select the right set up for you.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts

What's the purpose of the car and your budget? Can always look at coilovers. You can buy the best strut/shock combo and will never beat the performance of a coilover. But they do ride a little rougher. The only downfall is if you make a ride height adjustment, you need to check/adjust pinion angle. But an adjustable torque arm makes that easy.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SAPPER
What's the purpose of the car and your budget? Can always look at coilovers. You can buy the best strut/shock combo and will never beat the performance of a coilover. But they do ride a little rougher. The only downfall is if you make a ride height adjustment, you need to check/adjust pinion angle. But an adjustable torque arm makes that easy.
just a cruiser. Doing nothing crazy with it. I’d like to go with some koni sports (yellow) and maybe some bmr springs. Sufficient?
Old 09-21-2022, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonarin96
@Sam Strano
Old 09-22-2022, 09:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I can help on every aspect.

But Bilstein and koni sport are extremely different for this car. The former basically comes with nothing on the front shocks everything has to be switched over from an oem shock. The latter has a new perch, a new dustboot, and new bump stops on the front. Both rears are complete with new dustboot, there's nothing else except some mounting hardware which they both also come with.

Beyond that vastly different price points, and of course one being adjustable for damping and with the secondary front perch position which the Bilstein does not have either.

As for somebody mentioned in coilovers. It's always an option however good ones cost quite a bit more again, cheap crappy ones cost about the same as Koni Sport, but without a lifetime warranty often not even any gas pressurized dampers.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Shock/spring upgrade fbody