Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel came off after suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess the next question is, where to find 19x11" wheels.. ..they are almost impossible to find with the right offset and decent style. If I used the WELD Ventura S104 with the 70mm offset, would it be okay to run long wheel studs and a 1" spacer on the rear wheels?
Old 06-08-2023, 04:32 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I guess the next question is, where to find 19x11" wheels.. ..they are almost impossible to find with the right offset and decent style. If I used the WELD Ventura S104 with the 70mm offset, would it be okay to run long wheel studs and a 1" spacer on the rear wheels?
I just had one of my posts banned because I identified a vendor who could provide the solution to another of your problems. I solution you asked for. Someone who could fabricate the very item you were asking about. I hesitate to mention Forgeline could be a source for you, but I guess it was okay for you to mention WELD so this will be a test. I have no way of knowing if those in this thread using insulting invective were justifiably banned, but I know my post was unjustifiably banned. See what injustice follows from using inappropriate wheels? That was a joke. I clarify for those who might misinterpret.
I'm NOT trying to contradict your ambitions, but still suggest you consider the 18X11" or 18X11.5" wheel instead of any 19. The 18 will be lighter, easier to find and have more fitment options in tires. Ditto for a front 18. Do not be misled by fashion, the same car on 18's can have faster lap times than on 19's. Similar reason to why Strano is faster on 16's than 17's.

PS Did you ask about a spacer? Or maybe an adaptor?

Last edited by wssix99; 06-08-2023 at 08:15 PM. Reason: cleaned up inappropriate comment
Old 06-08-2023, 05:32 AM
Banned

Default I don't get to ID the vendor.

19 or 18 made into what you want?
Easy for one vendor in S Ca. and one in N Nevada. Find a used set that appeals to you in any 18X 8 or 18X9 or 19X8 or19X9. Steel or aluminum, one vendor will charge you $150.00 to make any of them into 11.5" wide, or 11" wide or 10'5" wide or 10" wide. Other a little more. Both will balance just the wheel when done so it's easier to balance your mounted tires. Will pressure test the finished wheel to ensure NO LEAKS before they deliver to you. Please ask the administrator why I can't tell you their names without getting "double secret probation".
Old 06-08-2023, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSX Thunder
19 or 18 made into what you want?
Easy for one vendor in S Ca. and one in N Nevada. Find a used set that appeals to you in any 18X 8 or 18X9 or 19X8 or19X9. Steel or aluminum, one vendor will charge you $150.00 to make any of them into 11.5" wide, or 11" wide or 10'5" wide or 10" wide. Other a little more. Both will balance just the wheel when done so it's easier to balance your mounted tires. Will pressure test the finished wheel to ensure NO LEAKS before they deliver to you. Please ask the administrator why I can't tell you their names without getting "double secret probation".
I don't know policy on mentioning vendors here but can you PM them to me?
Old 06-08-2023, 10:27 AM
Banned

Default Done

PM sent.
All of them are excellent. Used wheels can be made better than new in many ways. 11" or 11.5" are yours for the price. True 2400 years ago, an ancient wisdom:
Life is a **** sandwich. The more bread you have, the less **** you have to eat.
The following users liked this post:
2ToeRacing (07-29-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,552 Likes on 1,115 Posts

True 2400 years ago, an ancient wisdom:
Life is a **** sandwich. The more bread you have, the less **** you have to eat.
Adding more bread to a sandwich doesn't change the fixed amount of contents, it just hides it better.

I agree with all comments from wssix99 above. To clarify further, it's not a problem to simply mention the name of a non-sponsoring vendor, or even suggest them as a source, it's the continuous plugs for their business (in this case, a certain member who shall remain nameless also posted a thread to specifically plug the same non-sponsoring vendor just a few days ago - hence the crackdown here) that became a problem.

There is some great information in this thread, but the presentation was...less than desirable in certain posts. Let's stay on track going forward, and best wishes to the OP on getting his car back together.
Need4Camaro (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 08:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 330 Likes on 302 Posts

These can be looked up and researched in the Welcome section. That's the best source of information for you. Don't take information from any other source.

There is no problem mentioning products from OEMs or product manufacturers that do not compete directly with sponsors. Plugging vendors who retail goods or provide services and are non-sponsors is the larger issue.
Need4Camaro (06-08-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I once looked into using 5x120 mm bolt pattern because the wheels cost so much less than what's available for my car. I spoke to a certain BMW wheel manufacturer and the lug hole position tolerance was 0.1 mm (not to be confused with the tolerance of the size of the hole). This can cause the stud to bend, and studs don't like to bend.

There is always somebody in threads like this that says it's fine because tolerances are so large. First of all, they're not large. And second of all, larger tolerances actually make things worse because it increases chances that things can get even more out of whack.
Another small point, BMW's dont use lug nuts they use lug bolts and the machined angle on those bolts does need to sorta match the wheel,
michaelvp (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i would think that everyone would agree that wheel hub to the hub of the vehicle has to be an exact fit, no clearance. not having the proper lug nuts are a recipe for disaster.. last but not least proper torquing of the lug nuts. most aftermarket wheels require a different torque then the factory spec. when I'm installing wheels i usually have the vehicle on a lift. ill set my impact at the lowest setting and always use a cross pattern, just to snug them up. i then lower the vehicle and with the tires just touching the ground i torque all the lug nuts. one added benefit of following these steps I've never changed any of the brake rotors on my vehicles for warpage. Of course the hub beneath the rotor is clean and flat.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ended up going with Weld Racing 18x10's up front and 18x11 in the back. No damage to the brakes or front of the car atleast. I thought I snagged a brake line but I guess not. Will be 5 - 6 weeks before they arrive so decided to have body work and other repairs done while waiting. Its still on the BMW wheels for now.

I put it back together enough to ɓaby it to the shop where the repairs will be done, all studs replaced and wheels will be installed. I'm also going to have every stud on the car replaced as well.

We temporarily replaced 4 of 5 studs (going to replace every stud on the car at the shop.) to get it movable. The 5th stud is still missing as the old one wont come out. The car has a strong shimmy approaching 40 MPH. (Didnt drive over that speed) I don't know if its because a missing stud or if its because I bent something when the wheel came off. What should be checked?
Old 06-12-2023, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

hard to say without all five studs installed. with the wheel off you can check for run out at the hub by rigging up a dial indicator.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:35 PM
Banned

Ended up going with Weld Racing 18x10's up front and 18x11 in the back. No damage to the brakes or front of the car atleast. I thought I snagged a brake line but I guess not. Will be 5 - 6 weeks before they arrive so decided to have body work and other repairs done while waiting. Its still on the BMW wheels for now.
Excellent. 18's are optimal for a 4th gen. Less weight/rotational mass, lighter tire and doesn't capture that 24" wheels vibe.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:59 PM
Banned

Default Adapters

USA sourced aluminum adapter, machined for any hub and bolt pattern and any wheel bolt pattern.

96 Caprice with 18X9" and 275/40-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports

7,100 pound sport limo, 1 1/2" F+R solid sway bars, Koni adj on full hard, 275/50-17 on 8 1/2" wide Impala SS wheels.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I am okay though. I heard something start knocking while I was doing 60 MPH and I started slowing down incase something was wrong, put on the hazards and started heading toward the shop that did my ridetech install..
. Anytime you hear a noise/ feel something odd or something doesn't feel right pull over immediately and figure out what's going on before proceeding. I've been working on cars for almost 40yrs and I see or hear from other mechanics I know that some caused thousands of dollars in damage because they failed to stop.
Thankfully that's all the damage you had.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Adding more bread to a sandwich doesn't change the fixed amount of contents, it just hides it better.
The ancient insight is valid; your comment misses the point. With enough 'bread" you can avoid the undesirable contents completely, and you can avoid what is life's default reality.

Also, this thread showed that few here knew of a fabricator for SAFELY using mismatched OEM bolt patterns and funky aftermarket wheels.

NO ONE provided a safe prevention of the op accident. I did and got "double secret probation."

See new thread "Adaptors" in Wheels and Tires

Last edited by LSX Thunder; 06-15-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:49 PM
Banned

HSV SS 18X9 Forgelines w/35 mm offset 275/40-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport and 8,000-pound Fleetwood Limo
No adaptors
Old 06-15-2023, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,552 Likes on 1,115 Posts

The ancient insight is valid; your comment misses the point. With enough 'bread" you can avoid the undesirable contents completely, and you can avoid what is life's default reality.
Actually no, my comment reinforced your point and also exposed a fundamental truth.

Adding enough bread can hide the contents so thoroughly that you never even encounter them (i.e. avoiding the undesirable contents completely, as you stated). BUT, those contents are still there and always will be (otherwise it is no longer a "sandwich", just a loaf of bread); lucky is the man who can live on only the bread though (assuming he has enough of it).
Old 06-16-2023, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Actually no, my comment reinforced your point and also exposed a fundamental truth.

Adding enough bread can hide the contents so thoroughly that you never even encounter them (i.e. avoiding the undesirable contents completely, as you stated). BUT, those contents are still there and always will be (otherwise it is no longer a "sandwich", just a loaf of bread); lucky is the man who can live on only the bread though (assuming he has enough of it).
Homeopathy is based on diluting the contents so much that it is no longer possible to identify even one molecule of them, but as with life, an essence remains. The Biblical equivalent asserts everyone eats a substantial amount of it because "the content is always there". AKA life is an always fatal sexually transmitted disease.
People do not like to be reminded of these facts of life, so GM markets its cheapest, wretched EV's with a fundamental deception. GM doesn't say "buy a Volt/Bolt because you are too poor to buy better", it "virtue signals" and says, "save the planet" and "don't be greedy."
Soothing the congenitally poor with an opportunity to feel righteous. A fake one. As the evidence shows, regardless of the wealth of your birth family and any amount of good/bad luck, by age 35 your net worth is a marker of your intelligence and trait conscientiousness. Ever more so after 35 until the correlation is >.9 before age 47. Just look at the 78% of NFL players paid an average of $7 million a year for 6 to 9 years who are destitute 3 years after retiring (average age 30). A Sports Illustrated investigation that was NOT well received.
So, it's true, contrary to pop psychology, the car you own does say something about you.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:14 AM
Save the manuals!

People do not like to be reminded of these facts of life, so GM markets its cheapest, wretched EV's with a fundamental deception. GM doesn't say "buy a Volt/Bolt because you are too poor to buy better", it "virtue signals" and says, "save the planet" and "don't be greedy."
So, it's true, contrary to pop psychology, the car you own does say something about you.
If you want to share philosophy, please be aware of your surroundings. Do a little extra homework. Read some signatures, etc.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and trust that you were not intending to be insulting, but it came out like that anyway.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:17 AM
Save the manuals!

PLEASE READ THIS POST:

Again, we are glad the OP is on their way to resolution. Since the original topics/questions have been resolved, please refrain from any further commentary here.

We'll keep this thread open so the OP can come back with any relevant updates or follow-ons. Otherwise, we can move other general conversation elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Wheel came off after suspension upgrade