Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

¼ panel dimples - from brake/axle hop, or lack of subframe connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 04:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Let's convince the guys that make them and sell them they aren't really that great..... FIRST of all, I never said there were bad. That I have to make clear. What I mean to say is very simple, you can very much help the body of the car and the handling and ride all at once with fixing what GM messed up worse, which is the suspension vs. the chassis. I sell SFC's too. Who's do you want? SLP? Hotchkis? Addco? Competition Engineering? It's not a matter of me saying this because I can't supply you with them, or the opposite in saying YOU MUST HAVE them because I do sell them. Both of which happen a lot. There is a lot of profit margin in those things. After all, they aren't complicated, but sell for a nice chunk of change.

13.18 @ 107.9 with a K&N drop-in, Loudmouth. On GS-C's, 2.01 60' time, 35mm solid front bar, 1/8" toe-out, Koni's set almost full stiff in the front. I ran it like I autoxed it in F-stock. All I did was drop the rear pressures to 22 lbs. Also, the same day with the same mods but on RS-A's, Karl Bender (the Blue Formula that was at the autox) ran 13.15 @ 108.2 with a 2.00 60' time. I fully expect the car to be faster now. I have an aluminum flywheel, StainlessWorks long-tube w/high flow cats, a lid, torque management is turned off, etc.
Points taken.

Where do you race at? BSD or elsewhere?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:53 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
It has been my experience that DMNSPD will argue and debate with just about anyone on just about anything.

I can't recall him ever arguing a point, where suspension setup is concerned, where he has brought any hard data to the table to prove his point. It's more of a "feeling", which is way too subjective and ambiguous.

He seems to use assumptions, inuendo and out of context wording found on the internet and creatively spawn facts out of them. He is very talented at it.

My advice Kevin and Sam, is to just move on. You are wasting precious time and effort. Sometimes, you just have to give a horse his reins and let them play themselves out.

JMHO
Don't be bitter now because you couldn't handle my comments. It's a lot easier to dismiss them then it is to debate, I understand. I am joking <- see, smilie.

I questioned something. What's wrong with that? I only use my inquisitivity to learn. I've always assumed the dimples were from lack of SFC's. It seemed odd to hear something different about it. I'd say the majority people would agree it's from the frame flexing, in which case SFC's can cure it, but hey, that could all simply be from these assumptions you like to criticize.

I questioned your LCA reply as it always seems you think anything but LG is junk. In the LCA case, you assumed LG uses the Aurora ends, when we still don't understand fully if they are Aurora of Qxm1 or whatever the name of the good QA1 end is.

I'm not arguing with trackbird either, he's made the most sense to me, or at least replied on a level I relate more to. I am finally understanding what Sam is trying to say as well.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bitter at all. A questioning attitude keeps us all in check.

But you were arguing with me all the while I was agreeing with you.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:45 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Not bitter at all. A questioning attitude keeps us all in check.

But you were arguing with me all the while I was agreeing with you.
If that was the case, I'm sorry for my ignorance.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add another data point (assuming that's of any value at this point) - I've had GW SFC's on my car since almost the beginning. I also have a slight dimple in the standard area (driver's side 1/4 panel). I rarely drag race the car and have never run slicks on it. I honestly don't know whether the dimple showed up before or after the SFC's were installed, but my guess is after since I think I had about 1000 miles on the car when they were installed.

My main reason for getting them when I did was my prior experience with a 3rd gen car with 65k miles. The thing would creak and flex over every speed bump and into every driveway like it was gonna fall apart. I was trying to avoid that same problem with this car.

FWIW, I did notice what I would call an "improvement" after the installation (rest of the suspension was still stock). No way I could quantify it, though. Just my perception.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the whole issue here is dimpling of the quater pannels due to brake hop, I'm surprised no one here has mentioned there is a part that will address this problem directly: It's an adjustable torque arm.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

You can still get brake hop with an adjustable torque arm. But it definately helps minimize it!
Old 10-13-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, this is a subject I'm very interested in - want to
know how negative you can adjust pinion angle before
picking up brake hop. In my case I have lowered by 1"
and have the LCA relocation brackets on the lowest
hole, and have yet to see any hop (even a couple of
panic-stop events). But I have an adjustable TA that
is going on "any week now", and any advice about
where hop trouble starts to set in (by pinion angle)
would be swell.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

I never got any brake hop on my lowered car until I bolted on a set of race tires (Hoosiers.) I would like to know the best pinion angle for braking also.

Quick Reply: ¼ panel dimples - from brake/axle hop, or lack of subframe connectors?