Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bumpstop Spring Rates Inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

You left out the "light yellow" rear bumpstops. Their stiffer than the "light brown" rear bumpstop in you pictures, and smoother in appearance.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 315 Nitto Drags. I usually keep the pressure low actually, about 24psi or so, otherwise I can't hook.

So should I get the yellow bumpstops or the Koni 40mm bumpstops? I don't know what to do and I don't know how to test the compression of the shock to see where it stops.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You left out the "light yellow" rear bumpstops. Their stiffer than the "light brown" rear bumpstop in you pictures, and smoother in appearance.
That's because I've never heard of it.

What cars had a light yellow?
Are you sure it wasn't just a color change?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SStolen
I have 315 Nitto Drags. I usually keep the pressure low actually, about 24psi or so, otherwise I can't hook.

So should I get the yellow bumpstops or the Koni 40mm bumpstops? I don't know what to do and I don't know how to test the compression of the shock to see where it stops.
I don't know why your thinking of the 40mm for the rear, I use the 55mm. I'd only mount them on the shock as a last resort. The stock location is actually better because it's closer to the axle ends. I'd get the new stock bumpstops if I were you.

You have to compress the shock with your hands and then mark on the rod where it stops. You have to remove the dust boots for this. It's riskier because you also have to compensate for bumpstop compression or else the shock could be damaged.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-10-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JasonWW

The last set of rear bump stops (3rd set)I put on my car are light yellow, fairly smooth and noticeably stiffer than the 2 sets I had before (light brown sets).

Heres what I have now:
Regular camaro bumpstops (v6 model)
http://images.superchevy.com/tech/04...thgen_16_z.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-10-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's interesting, rear bumpstops are hard for me to get a hold of because I only had the ones I removed from my car to work with. I've seen different versions in person like the SLP rubber units, but I haven't been able to measure them.

I think the only thing wrong the magazine (or Air Ride) did to the stops was not keep the tapered shape. It's like jumping off the roof onto a single matress or 4 matresses. The tapered shape is like the 4 matresses in that it absorbs the impact better.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

I've got mine cut exactly the same way, and I'm completly happy with the ride and handling. I rarely impact the rear bumpstops, and when I do its only lightly.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

98bluZ28: Okay, so they have three different bumpstops is that right. The SS have the stiffest (rubber), the Z28 is next and you're saying is NOW stiffer than it used to be, and then finally you have the regular V6 Camaro bumpstops and these are the softest. Is that correct? I read in another post that the yellow ones were the softest but you're saying they are stiffer than what you've used in the past?

So which ones do I need since I am hitting them so often and should I cut them down to 1.5 inches like in that picture? Wouldn't I also want to taper the sides down as well so the first bit is more progressive? Thanks for all the help guys! This is awesome!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jason, what do you mean? The factory rear bumpstops in your original pictures are light yellow....
Old 10-11-2008, 06:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jason, what do you mean? The factory rear bumpstops in your original pictures are light yellow....
Are they? 99Bluz28 said mine were the light brown ones. He needs to clarify.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

98bluZ28: Okay, so they have three different bumpstops is that right. The SS have the stiffest (rubber), the Z28 is next and you're saying is NOW stiffer than it used to be, and then finally you have the regular V6 Camaro bumpstops and these are the softest. Is that correct? I read in another post that the yellow ones were the softest but you're saying they are stiffer than what you've used in the past?

So which ones do I need since I am hitting them so often and should I cut them down to 1.5 inches like in that picture? Wouldn't I also want to taper the sides down as well so the first bit is more progressive? Thanks for all the help guys! This is awesome!
I would recommend you measure how much exhaust clearance you have and then cut off a little less than that number and then shave the sides to add the tapered shape. Your probably going to get 1/2" - 3/4" extra travel and that will help a lot. I gained 3/4" and just barely rubbed the axle on the exhaust. I never heard it, but I saw the little run mark.

I had mine so dialed in I couldn't tell if I was on the bumpstops or not. Now that's what your aiming for.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-11-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've got mine cut exactly the same way, and I'm completly happy with the ride and handling. I rarely impact the rear bumpstops, and when I do its only lightly.
What's the point of making them square shaped?
All that does is create a sudden increase in spring rate that you will probably feel.

Leaving them a little longer and recutting the taper will start the axle slowing down. So when it does get to the thicker, stiffer part of the stop, it's speed will be much less.

The more progressive the ramp up on spring rate, the less your going to feel it. Same for the tires. The less you jolt them on a bump while cornering, the less likely they are to break loose.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-11-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No, I just want a better ride. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. My car is noticeably more stiff than my girlfriends TA. She has all stock shocks, springs and bumpstops. I have Koni SA's in the front, stock rear shocks, and factory cut springs. I've lowered the car about 1.5 all round. What I'm really noticing is that the back has all kinds of racket going on back there. I have L.G. Motorsports've race/adjustable LCA's and PHR where one side has a Poly bushing and the other side utilizes a tie-rod end for binding. Yes, I have the LCA's in the right direction with the poly bushing in the front to the body and the rod towards the rear. I'm not sure if there is a correct side for the poly and tie-rod on the PHR. Anyway, I just want a smoother ride. I don't mind a firm ride but this is noisy, beat you up rigid. I'm going to remove the aluminum spacers first and see if that helps. Then I am going to get the Koni SA's for the rear. After that, I want to try either Z28 bumpstops or the Koni 40mm shock mounted bumpstops since those sound to be more progressive and not so harsh. I just need it top absorb the bumps better. Will the softest setting on Koni SA's give you the smoothest ride or is there a point where it just gets more sloppy. Of the eight settings, what is the best setting for someone who is 80% worried about ride quality and only 20% worried about handling?
Forget about the bump stops for a second, you have bigger problems. You are lowered 1.5 inches without enough rate to compensate the drop. You will be hitting the bump stops harder because of this, over a higher rate spring (see why its a bad idea to cut springs?)
Next you have the front konis on full soft, for a spring that is shorter than stock. That is way too soft, turn it up.
If you want the best ride, get a set of stock springs (that are not cut), and on otherwise stock suspension with the konis front and rear.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Forget about the bump stops for a second, you have bigger problems. You are lowered 1.5 inches without enough rate to compensate the drop. You will be hitting the bump stops harder because of this, over a higher rate spring (see why its a bad idea to cut springs?)
I always recommend cutting the rear springs. Removing one complete coil will raise the rate to 130lbs. Remove one more coil and your at 150lbs. That's a good rate to have. Then just add the rubber isolators to fine tune the height.

The front springs however, are useless.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Are they? 99Bluz28 said mine were the light brown ones. He needs to clarify.
The (light brown) bump stop in your photo is the same that came with my Z28 also. The light yellow bump stop is noticeably stiffer(which is used in the rear air ride install photos). It's supposedly v6 camaro bump stops(according to A.R.T.). When I've searched through GM parts All I've ever found is one part number for all camaro's. Maybe different companies over time made the rear bumpstops, I really don't know.

The point of making them square shaped;

Added suspension travel with the air bags. And I actually followed the A.R.T. directions.

I wouldn't recommend cutting them like that with regular lowering springs, because the rear bump stops get used a lot more often.

Also, the way the spring rate changes on air bags is different so your not constantly compressing the bumpstops, unless you have the bags aired out.
(please correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-11-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

The point of making them square shaped;

Added suspension travel with the air bags. And I actually followed the A.R.T. directions.
Well, you'd get the same suspension travel. The tapered shaped just softens the blow. I have to consider that most folks are using metal springs.

I would think it would be the same for air springs, but I'm not positive.

I actually have a set of the Firestone 9000's (same ones in the ART rear kit) and plan to install them shortly. I'm very curious as to how they will ride compared to my metal springs which I can vary the ride height and spring rate in 10lb increments.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

I think you'll be very happy with the Firestone 9000's.

IMO, their the best rear springs for a lowered camaro or firebird, I wish I would of went this route a long time ago!

Also I don't know if you already have this link, but they have a large selection of shaft mount bump stops.
http://www.resuspension.com/Bump-Stops-p-1-c-92.html
Old 10-11-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, badass link! Thanks.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why are the front springs useless? What would you recommend and why? What will I gain over stock cut springs? I think I cut off 1.5 coils off the fronts and back.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why are the front springs useless? What would you recommend and why? What will I gain over stock cut springs? I think I cut off 1.5 coils off the fronts and back.
Their useless due to the number of coils for their spring rate. Do you know what your front spring rate is?

I'd recommend what I run, which is the Ground Control coilover conversion with about a 500lb spring.

The advantages are choosing your own spring rate and ride height. It runs about $225-$250.

Quick Reply: Bumpstop Spring Rates Inside