Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Formula to calculate spring rates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Formula to calculate spring rates?

I was wondering if any of you racers out there could provide me with the formula that will allow me to choose the proper spring rate for a car.

I believe I've got the information needed to calculate. The car is a '69 camaro built on a custom race car chassis. I've got the corner weights, the appropriate measurements from the suspension (I believe) and the shock angles.

Before you comment, I DO plan to ask an expert before ordering but want to know what I need before I buy just for confirmation.
Oh, and any recommendations on who to call to purchase springs would be great. I know the ID and free length needed and want linear rate springs.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no formula for figuring what rate will work best for your application or any application for that matter. It is trial and error to determine a set of springs that will limit roll yet provide the comfort level you expect and be compliant enough for the road surfaces it is subjected to. My Elco weighs about what a late 60's Camaro weighs, I run 750f and 175r. Could probably use a little more spring but it sees daily street duty.

More important than what rate to run is making sure wheel rate operating frequencies match, otherwise the f&r suspensions will fight each other. Your chassis builder should know all this already and would have set you in the right direction I would think.

Quick Reply: Formula to calculate spring rates?