Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered cars... how much ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowered cars... how much ground clearance?

I have DMS springs paired with cheap-o Monroe shocks/struts. The ride quality is fine and I don't bounce all over the place.

My issue is with ground clearance... I have Grot LT's, and one of the passenger side primaries has a nice dent in it from hanging so low. Both sides scrape, as do the dual cutouts on my QTP Y. When I look under my car, the lack of ground clearance is frightening, but I'm reluctant to raise it back up because it just looks so damn good.

I thought Grot was supposed to be one of the better-tucking headers. I also thought DMS wasn't supposed to be an "extreme" drop... but I can't imagine going much lower. Am I wrong? Do I need to get my exhaust custom-fit to raise it up? I need to take better shots of my clearance, but you can get an idea from this pic:

Old 12-16-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car sits higher than mine, by nearly a inch (I'd guess). Those springs don't look "too low" compared to many I've seen.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had TPIS headers with Eibach Pro-kit springs and I probably only had 1" of clearance. Now I have stock manifolds and stock y-pipe and there is way more clearance, but the sound is not as mean and nasty.

Quick Reply: Lowered cars... how much ground clearance?