Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed 2 front rotors-Lft frt binding Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Installed 2 front rotors-Lft frt binding Help!!!

I installed 2 new front rotors and I noticed that when I tightened the caliper brackett, left side, the new outside pad pulled against the rotor and pulled it in toward the caliper. So the rotor isn't flush. I thought that maybe when I put the wheel on and torqued down the lugs to the 100 ft/lbs it would straighten out. Well that was wishful thinking. So I drove the car about 5 miles today to test it and noticed that the only rotor I couldn't touch was the left front. It doesn't pull when I let go of the whell or when I brake. Does anybody know what it could be? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:11 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe the caliper piston's weren't compressed enough?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SRM
Maybe the caliper piston's weren't compressed enough?

I flattened those things till they were flush.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like your "slider pins" (under the rubber boots where the caliper bolts screw into) are stuck. If they don't get lubed, they tend to sieze (rust?) in place and then the caliper can't slide back and fourth to allow for pad wear (like it's designed to do). I'd start there.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trackbird
It sounds like your "slider pins" (under the rubber boots where the caliper bolts screw into) are stuck. If they don't get lubed, they tend to sieze (rust?) in place and then the caliper can't slide back and fourth to allow for pad wear (like it's designed to do). I'd start there.
So you think that would be the case even if I compressed the pistons to the "open" position, put new break pads on, put the new rotor on, slide the complete caliper assembly over the new rotor and tighten the caliper assembly to the caliper bracket? The rotor was binding before I even put the wheel on. I could barely even turn the rotor! So the pistons were never compressed once I decompressed them. It's almost as if there is a spacer missing between the caliper and the bracket. Thanks for your suggestions, please keep them coming.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

to tha top. Any more suggestions before I ruin the left front brake assembly?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by anLS1x2
to tha top. Any more suggestions before I ruin the left front brake assembly?

Yea, pull it off and make sure the pins are not stuck. As the pads wear and the pins see heat cycles (from applying the brakes), the grease drys out. Then, as the pads are almost worn (in your case), the pins finally get enough heat and a little water and such in them and they stick. So, when you install new pads, the caliper is still in the position it needs to be in for worn pads, this causes the disk to be "tilted" as you describe. I'm 99.9% sure that is your problem.

You asked for answers, you get an answer and you choose to ignore it. You can fix it all after you melt that one down, but it will be much more expensive. I bet you could remove that caliper (when you changed pads) without using 2 wrenches (on to hold the slider pin and one to pull the caliper bolt, why? The pins are stuck).

I can't make you fix it, I can only tell you what's wrong, it's a common problem on these cars.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Ditto that. I had the same problem and even compressed, my slider pins were seized up. Had to pull it, regrease, and then the brakes were much more smooth.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trackbird
Yea, pull it off and make sure the pins are not stuck. As the pads wear and the pins see heat cycles (from applying the brakes), the grease drys out. Then, as the pads are almost worn (in your case), the pins finally get enough heat and a little water and such in them and they stick. So, when you install new pads, the caliper is still in the position it needs to be in for worn pads, this causes the disk to be "tilted" as you describe. I'm 99.9% sure that is your problem.

You asked for answers, you get an answer and you choose to ignore it. You can fix it all after you melt that one down, but it will be much more expensive. I bet you could remove that caliper (when you changed pads) without using 2 wrenches (on to hold the slider pin and one to pull the caliper bolt, why? The pins are stuck).

I can't make you fix it, I can only tell you what's wrong, it's a common problem on these cars.

Good luck!
Thanks Tackbird - I now understand what you are saying.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by anLS1x2
Thanks Tackbird - I now understand what you are saying.

No problem.

Quick Reply: Installed 2 front rotors-Lft frt binding Help!!!