Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

N00b inside, lowering springs and thats it??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N00b inside, lowering springs and thats it??

ok well i have a 2001 ws6. i need to know if i can just pick up some hotchkins lowering springs and thats it to lower my car. i have a friend that has a 94 camaro that tells me that i have to have new shocks and all kinds of stuff. so can i get away with just springs to lower my car???? thanks skeeter
Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

I can tell you what most guys with recommend. New shocks to accomodate the spring rates, LCA relocation brackets (lowering the car puts the LCA's on an very bad angle which will sacrifice traction, can cause wheelhop, which can break your rearend), new PHB (lowering the car throws off the geometry of the rearend, so you'll need this to straighten it back up).

That's all I can think off right now. IMO those are the essentials if you're going to lower your car.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ritz, I don't agree with what you said. LCA relocation brackets aren't necessary. Neither is a new adjustable PHB (unless you are running 315's).

ws62001ta, as far as springs and shocks, you have to understand that you pick the springrate you think you will need then you get shocks that match those spring rates. The Hotchkis are a progressive spring so it's hard to get a shock to work really well with them. That's why most guys use a linear spring, it's rate doesn't change. At the very least you should get a set of 4 bilstein shocks. They are not ideal for your situation but they will be much better than the stock shocks.

Here's a real nice thread talking about some of the basics:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502322
Old 01-08-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Ritz, I don't agree with what you said. LCA relocation brackets aren't necessary. Neither is a new adjustable PHB (unless you are running 315's).

ws62001ta, as far as springs and shocks, you have to understand that you pick the springrate you think you will need then you get shocks that match those spring rates. The Hotchkis are a progressive spring so it's hard to get a shock to work really well with them. That's why most guys use a linear spring, it's rate doesn't change. At the very least you should get a set of 4 bilstein shocks. They are not ideal for your situation but they will be much better than the stock shocks.

Here's a real nice thread talking about some of the basics:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502322
Well everytime I read about people lowering their cars those are the main things that they do.

It also all depends on how far you lower it, but it's not my car so it's up to him. I just wanted to tell him what most would recommend.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's cool ritz, I wasn't trying to burn you. You do bring up a good point about how far it's lowered. The amount of lowering does matter so let me go into a bit more detail on why some folks change those 2 items.

The APHR (adjustable panhard rod) just keeps the tires from getting too far to one side and rubbing. Usually 275's have enough clearance, but if you go lower and the tires start to rub, then you know you need to get an APHR to help recenter the rear end.

The LCA relocation brackets are for the serious drag racer. For a street car or for handling, they aren't necessary.

I would just recommend saving your money and focusing on the springs and shocks first and foremost.