Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handeling sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handeling sugestions

I'm really not liking the way my car is taking some off ramps and exits at speeds it should be able to handle with easy. It either pushes like a hog with the front end threw the corner, or the back slightyly sways side to side. I was thinking about lowering is about and inch or so and putting on a better sway bar. What is a good sway bar: size make and what not. Keep in mind I'm a college student and I can't exactly afford the top of the line model. thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

How old are your shocks? Are they stock?

Shocks are the most important aspect of the f-body suspension. At a bare minimum get some Bilstein HDs.

After that, you can look into springs and a sway bar.

If you can't afford to do it right and do it once, save until you can.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking about those too. I have the stock ones up front, but maybe its the monroe sensatrac(or wahtever), in the rear thats gving me the sway.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

How many miles?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

100k on the fronts and about 30k or so on the rear
Old 01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

You NEED shocks!!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

ok
Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Old 01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, the bilstein HD'z will tighen up the suspension and give you a firmed, crisp turn-in feel. As for springs and sway bar, i have the eibach and they are IMO the best springs you can get. Have had others on and the spring rate, design of the eibach and durability of the material is excellent. As for the sway bar, they are all ususally evened priced and some are hollow and others soild. Also, a few vary in size but by 1-2mm which isnt that much but whatever you can get right? Personally, i like the BMR or the SPOON bars. Just search and save up until you can get the good stuff first, dont settle for aight parts..........trust me, best advice i've ever gotten!!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obZidian
yeah, the bilstein HD'z will tighen up the suspension and give you a firmed, crisp turn-in feel. As for springs and sway bar, i have the eibach and they are IMO the best springs you can get. Have had others on and the spring rate, design of the eibach and durability of the material is excellent. As for the sway bar, they are all ususally evened priced and some are hollow and others soild. Also, a few vary in size but by 1-2mm which isnt that much but whatever you can get right? Personally, i like the BMR or the SPOON bars. Just search and save up until you can get the good stuff first, dont settle for aight parts..........trust me, best advice i've ever gotten!!

Old 01-05-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

In your list of mods I noticed you don't have a strut tower brace bar, might want to look into that.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
did i say something amusing....................
Old 01-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i do have a strut tower brace but i didn't think it was that important to include. i really just think for now I need to get the new shock deafantly, and get a better job and the good stuff can come later, thanks alot fellas
Old 01-06-2005, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was inappropriate ... I apologize ...
Old 01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

What Mitch is trying to say is...

That millimeters do count in sway bar sizes.
That there is a difference between brands due to sizing and hollow versus solid.
That Eibach spring construction is by no means superior to all others. (though the Pro Kit is a decent street setup)
That we all want to know what a Spoon sway bar is.

So yes, I guess you could call your earlier comments amusing.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
What Mitch is trying to say is...

That millimeters do count in sway bar sizes.
That there is a difference between brands due to sizing and hollow versus solid.
That Eibach spring construction is by no means superior to all others. (though the Pro Kit is a decent street setup)
That we all want to know what a Spoon sway bar is.

So yes, I guess you could call your earlier comments amusing.
well, wat i could call amusing is your lack of reading and comprehension skills......

if you actually read with your mind and not your mouth than maybe you would see that your ignorance, sir, is only indicative of your attention to details and comprehension of text or a simple thing called spelling mistakes............ try to expand you mind into areas of better understanding of words and concepts introduced with the use of them. Well, not just the stuff your read on sesame street.

for your clarification..........
1. I was just stating differences in brand with obvious size differences.of course size counts, it shouldnt be asked, but again you failed to COMPREHEND the meaning.
2. Again, same as above, just stating the differences in brands and types of bars
3. I never said superior, IMO, eibach is one of the best springs you can get for any application, period. If you dont believe me, just ask anyone who runs at the scca and have a statistical sheet setup and you'll see wat i mean. Dont just rely on wat your buddies tell you and actually research the subject. again indicative of the obvious truth behind your post
4. Spell check........SPOHN.....is that better for you.........again pointing to the obvious truths here.......

next time if your gonna bash, have proper justification before you open you mouth and spew out inconclusive ideas about something you havent the clue or ediquette to even begin to COMPREHEND.oh sorry you dont know that word.........UNDERSTAND? "TO GET IT!"? hows that?

have a nice day!!!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Geez, lighten up...
Old 01-06-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

i dont want to sound like im terribly upset...........just making a few observations.....
Old 01-06-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

BTW, it's called etiquette
Old 01-06-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

well, wat i could call amusing is your lack of reading and comprehension skills......

if you actually read with your mind and not your mouth than maybe you would see that your ignorance, sir, is only indicative of your attention to details and comprehension of text or a simple thing called spelling mistakes............ try to expand you mind into areas of better understanding of words and concepts introduced with the use of them. Well, not just the stuff your read on sesame street.
I'm starting to think you don't like me.

for your clarification..........
1. I was just stating differences in brand with obvious size differences.of course size counts, it shouldnt be asked, but again you failed to COMPREHEND the meaning.
You said, "some are hollow and others soild. Also, a few vary in size but by 1-2mm which isnt that much but whatever you can get right?" Well, that's not right, hence the reason I corrected your misinformation. A hollow 35 versus a solid is roughly +/-15 pounds to the front end. If millimeters don't matter, remember, you said 1-2mm isn't much, why not just leave the stock 30mm bar on? After all, it's only 2mm different from Spohn, LG, BMR, original 1LE etc.

2. Again, same as above, just stating the differences in brands and types of bars
Yes, but again, you implied the differences were negligible and that one should shop by price for whatever one can get.

3. I never said superior, IMO, eibach is one of the best springs you can get for any application, period.
So it's not superior, but it's one of the best? Oh, okay.

If you dont believe me, just ask anyone who runs at the scca and have a statistical sheet setup and you'll see wat i mean. Dont just rely on wat your buddies tell you and actually research the subject. again indicative of the obvious truth behind your post
What I'm saying is that I regularly autocross in ESP with the SCCA (and am a regional board member). I've also done a few open track events. I bought some of my stuff from Sam Strano after consulting with him. He's won the nat'l championship in autocross in case you don't know of him. I use 550# Eibach springs in a Ground Control coil over setup with Koni DA's all around. For the time being, I have the SLP/Eibach springs in the rear. I use LG's adjustable rod-end panhard, and SLP's sway bars, which includes a hollow 35mm front.

Mitch has open tracked as much as anyone around this board and is building a CMC race car.

No less, I'll get back to my no-nothing buddies and conduct an old fashioned flogging of them for misleading me on my suspension.

4. Spell check........SPOHN.....is that better for you.........again pointing to the obvious truths here.......
Oh yes, that's it, Spohn. With your vast knowledge of suspension performance, I thought you must have known of another company, Spoon, that produced awesome race parts of BMR caliber to which lowly autocross people like me don't have access.

next time if your gonna bash, have proper justification before you open you mouth and spew out inconclusive ideas about something you havent the clue or ediquette to even begin to COMPREHEND.oh sorry you dont know that word.........UNDERSTAND? "TO GET IT!"? hows that?
What can I say? I've been enlightened. My time researching and racing my ESP car and now my F-stock car were all for naught. Woe to poor Mitch for building a dedicated track car with no knowledge in suspension. Poor guy. Maybe you should send him a PM with some of your sage advice. I'm obviously not educated enough to write him, and I just can't stand the thought of breaking his heart.

As for my ediquette, it was delectable with a side of escargo.

If my etiquette was rude or unbecoming, I apologize. I hope you'll understand that in my own mind, I was trying to share what I thought was good knowledge so that the original poster wouldn't be misguided by what I thought was misleading, if not plain bad advice from what appeared to be an uniformed responder.

have a nice day!!!!!
I will thanks. It'll be better when I print this thread and take it to our SCCA Solo II committee meeting tonight so we can share a hearty laugh.