Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My accident... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My accident... any ideas?

Okay guys, I really messed up my 96 camaro RS a little while back... I hit the curb going onto an onramp at around 30mph... I was driven off the onramp by a truck, and hit the curb head-on with my front left tire... The rim was bent, but I got that fixed... and when I started driving, the car was leaning to the left... I took it to the mechanic, and they saw that the front left arm was bent... so I got that replaced... however, that didnt fix much... My car still goes to the left a little, and therefore have to steer to the right a little... I took it to try to recaliberate the steering wheel, but they told me it was my Chassis... I guess the impact moved the left side of my chassis back by a matter of centimeters... so now, Im tryin to figure out if the damage is repairable... im on the verge of sellin my car for a damn Honda!!!... but not if I can repair the damage... Do you guys think it's really the chassis? The left tire is back about a quarter inch compared to the right tire... Any idea how much it will be to repair? Thank you guys..
Old 01-09-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spindle might be bent too. I'd take it to a qualified shop who can physically measure the chassis and differant suspension pieces to see where the bend is. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed ... the knuckle is not that strong.

It's about $110 from the dealer.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would want to have a body shop check the frame for alignment. Back in the 80's I had the front end of my 70mach1 taken off by lady who ran a stop sign. they charged me $150 to put it on the rack and pull it back into shape.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shysteeboi
Okay guys, I really messed up my 96 camaro RS a little while back... I hit the curb going onto an onramp at around 30mph... I was driven off the onramp by a truck, and hit the curb head-on with my front left tire... The rim was bent, but I got that fixed... and when I started driving, the car was leaning to the left... I took it to the mechanic, and they saw that the front left arm was bent... so I got that replaced... however, that didnt fix much... My car still goes to the left a little, and therefore have to steer to the right a little... I took it to try to recaliberate the steering wheel, but they told me it was my Chassis... I guess the impact moved the left side of my chassis back by a matter of centimeters... so now, Im tryin to figure out if the damage is repairable... im on the verge of sellin my car for a damn Honda!!!... but not if I can repair the damage... Do you guys think it's really the chassis? The left tire is back about a quarter inch compared to the right tire... Any idea how much it will be to repair? Thank you guys..

My vote is for the Honda

Just get it realigned like mentioned above. Its not THAT big of a deal to take measures that drastic