Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why is there such a handling difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why is there such a handling difference?

I just traded off my 01 TA this past week for a 02 Black on Black WS6 M6. My other car wasn't a real WS6, I had added the hood, lower airbox, emblems, and 17" wheels. I lowered the car (putting flame suit on) by cutting the springs. It wound up being a 1 3/8- 1 1/2 inch drop. The shocks were the factory ones. It seemed to handle fine, but.........when I got the new car, and it has the same wheels and tires cause I made them swap them out before I would except the deal, it handles sooooo much better than my other car. It's just glued to the road and doesn't have near the body roll. Is this because it's actually a WS6 or because of the cut springs, or both. I definately like the way this car handles better than my old one, I want to lower it sometime soon, but definately will do it "right" this time. I don't want to lose any of the handling I have now, with a set of aftermarket springs like the Pro-kit or BMRs, and a good set of shocks, Bilstein HDs or Strano revalves, it "should" handle as good or better right? Any advice on all this will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good shocks (most importantly) and good springs will definitely make your car handle much better.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

N E body else care to chime in?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

U had cut springs, thats the number 1 reason your new car drives a million times better.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new car has a larger front sway bar than the old one did. That will account for some of the difference as well.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

A few reasons:

1. The shocks are tighter on the new car being new.

2. The springs are not as stiff which better suited the shock's damping ability (which ain't great anyway), and you have slightly move travel for the shock to work in and through to do it's job.

3. A WS6 has a bigger front sway bar than your old car.

4. Assorted things like alignment, bushings and such can also be helping too

If you look at what you've experienced not with really good aftermarket stuff, but just with "better" OEM parts you can see why we are so adamant about having good dampers and proper springs, as well as liking bigger front swaybars as well.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Did you check to see if the new one has the upgraded SLP suspension? Maybe that also has something to do with it!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Well as far the "old" and "new" thing goes, my 01 car had 24,000 on it, and my 02 has 25,000 on it. So as far as it being "newer" parts, that's definately not the case here.

I don't know how to see if it has any SLP parts on it, I didn't know that was an option on a WS6.

Sam, when I get ready to lower this one, I'll definately be doing it "right" cause as impressed with the handling as I am right now, I can't imagine what it would be after some better shocks and springs. I'll get ahold of you when I'm ready to buy some shocks to see what you suggest, and or can set me up with. Thanks fellas.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

There isn't SLP suspension on it unless it was added as aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Why is there such a handling difference?