Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

final analysis: rod ends vs actual street manners

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh...i see. That makes sense.

For some reason i thought he meant something like after the second set, the rod end lca was no good.

What kind of maintanance beisdes swappin the rods is help to maintaining a mnoise free, properly operating rod end?
Old 02-06-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Not to speak for Kevin, but he meant that you'll be good to go until the replacement set wears out, at which point you'll have to install set #3, etc. You can't just install and forget. Make sense?

That's exactly what I meant.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Disclaimer - the following applies to my street car, driven almost exclusively over broken city streets, that I would really like to ride as if it were a Cadillac CTS or BMW 540.

Everything in this thread is why I just said F it and replaced factory rubber bushings with new factory rubber bushings, re-using the stock LCAs and PHR. That plus 3rd gen Bilstiens in the rear made a world of difference and didn't hurt the ride one bit. The only poly in the setup is the torque arm bushing, Sam Strano refused to sell me a rubber one, saying that the rubber tranny mount would absorb any vibration. Well he was right, it didn't increase NVH one iota, and I guess it contributes to the more planted rear.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default For what it's worth

I had my LG Poly/rod ended LCA's and PHB installed over the weekend. Compared to the LG Rod ended stuff I had, the ride is now less harsh. I'm not getting the banging and harshess inside the cabin I was getting before. These poly/rod parts still make noise, but it's not all the time and it's a different type of noise, it creeks and squeeks more, rather than bangs or rattles.

In terms of how the car handles, the rear end does not feel as planted as it did with the rod ends. It feels a little mushy and bouncey. My passengers made the comment "your car feels comfortable now".

So, just like what has been stated earlier in this thread, rod ends on a street car will be harsh, but if you into racing it's the way to go. The poly/rod set up feels less harsh and still seems to handle pertty good. Seems like a good compromise for street driving. That's my take so far.

Bob
Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

thanks.

Have you tried greasing the poly bushings, though it would only be a temporary fix.

i want to thank everyone for takng the time and if there is anyone else that has something to share please dont hesitate.

The more i give this thought, and read and read and read......polyurethane is just the wrong stuff to use when considering a bushing material for rear suspension parts. Though your improving ride quality, the negatives seem to outweigh the positives. Also, if a particular part puts me and my passenger at risk (though slim) i hesitate and search for other options.

Im not bashing on anyone for having poly because that is the only thing that is available that isnt killing your ride quality. I just think that instead of the corps trying to seize the market and capitalize on cheap materials, why wont they take the extra time needed, do some R&D and find an alternate solution. Clearly a set of hardened rubber bushings is a better material then why not use it?

i dont know? Ill say this though. If i could, im going to get myself a set of cheap cheap LCA'z with poly bushings and rip it out; replacing them with 1LE bushings. See wat happens....

until then, anyone else got anything to add?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

What about the rubber/poly combo available on some LCA's?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

The best street/performance combo in my mind is rubber/rod end. Rubber absorbs the extra impact from the rod end, yet doesn't bind as much as poly. Anyone (besides BMR) make a combo like that with a high quality rod end?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:31 AM
11Second Club

Can you buy rubber bushings to fit the poly ends? I've never seen the rubber/rod ends before, but that's definitely what I would do if I could.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by David N
The best street/performance combo in my mind is rubber/rod end. Rubber absorbs the extra impact from the rod end, yet doesn't bind as much as poly. Anyone (besides BMR) make a combo like that with a high quality rod end?
exactly my thoughts, but i sont think any company makes a combo like this.

Personally, i would jump on an opportunity if anyone made one or something similar without poly bushings.....
Old 02-12-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Poly/rod end LCA's and rod/rod panhard bar. I didn't notice that much of a difference in noise, but some one other guy that rode in my car told me it's the noisiest f-bod he's ridden in. But I think he's just **** about **** like that.....Poser style.

I didn't have a problem with any noise, and I notice even the most minute changes in my car, or if I heard an odd noise, I'll be quick to point it out. Your ride will be a little more harsh, but nothing you'd be embarrassed about taking a girl out to eat in. And the noise didn't bother me at all.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

I boxed a set of stock lca's and added the 1le solid rubber bushings. They work very well, and are QUIET!!!! welding=free bushings=$18
Old 02-16-2005, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by racrx
I boxed a set of stock lca's and added the 1le solid rubber bushings. They work very well, and are QUIET!!!! welding=free bushings=$18
What was the part number on those 1LE LCA bushings?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

I will have to dig around the garage this weekend and find it for you. Remind me Monday, and I will have it.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David N
The best street/performance combo in my mind is rubber/rod end. Rubber absorbs the extra impact from the rod end, yet doesn't bind as much as poly.
Originally Posted by Gauge
Can you buy rubber bushings to fit the poly ends? I've never seen the rubber/rod ends before, but that's definitely what I would do if I could.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey Jon,
Those look nice. Your design?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have factory LCA's with factory rubber bushings, rear suspension-wise I had the car lowered with 150lb springs & GC adjustment setup, also LGM G2 adjustable rod end PHR, no noticable road noise whatsoever, but then again I've only had them on since 10/04...

After reading this thread I'm going to Napa & buy that graphite lubricant spray and lube the rod-ends.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Hey Jon,
Those look nice. Your design?
I just found those rubber ends recently. It's really just a happy coincidence I found them and they happen to be about perfect for this application. And they're even cheaper than a good rod end. So many people afraid of rod-ended LCA's for noise/ride quality issues don't need to be with this combo. The rubber end does a much better job of making the rod end livable than a poly end does. More info here.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn, im glad i came across this thread...im now questioning if i want to get rid of my rubber/ploy LCA's...i was gonna change to rodend/poly LCA's and PHB but now i think i might just keep what i got...
just as a reference, i have BMR poly/rubber LCA's and there quite as a mouse...never heard anything from them and they planted my rearend nicely! (i had bad wheel hop before with the stockers) but i wanted to change b/c i bought them before i knew about the binding problems of solid LCA's...but now, i might have to do more research before i change...
Old 03-26-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

When you guys talking about the ends for the LCA's, does the same hold true for the ends of the PHB? I have BMR LCA's and a BMR PHB on my 99 WS^ that the previous owner put on the car and I don't know what bushing are in there. I don't really notice any vibrations or harshness or anything but I have always had some clanking going on from time to time and I was thinking of having the ends on the lca's and phb checked out. So what i am gathering is if they have to be replaced, that for a daily driven car that sees some shitty roads, its a good idea to put 1LE rubber bushing on one end of each and either a poly or rod end on the other depending on the level of noise i can deal with right?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
When you guys talking about the ends for the LCA's, does the same hold true for the ends of the PHB? I have BMR LCA's and a BMR PHB on my 99 WS^ that the previous owner put on the car and I don't know what bushing are in there. I don't really notice any vibrations or harshness or anything but I have always had some clanking going on from time to time and I was thinking of having the ends on the lca's and phb checked out. So what i am gathering is if they have to be replaced, that for a daily driven car that sees some shitty roads, its a good idea to put 1LE rubber bushing on one end of each and either a poly or rod end on the other depending on the level of noise i can deal with right?
The PHR seems to not transmit much if any noise, unlike the LCA's. You could probably use rodends on the PHR and be fine.
The LCA's NEED a rod end on at least one side to allow the arms to twist. If you use poly on the LCA, they will not want to twist and therefore bind which makes it feel stiffer. In other words it makes the spring rate go up which can upset the cars cornering grip. By allowing the LCA to twist freely, there is no bind and the car gains cornering grip. To put if roughly.

Good thread, I wanted to bring it back to the top for a while.
Jason

Quick Reply: final analysis: rod ends vs actual street manners