Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Craked Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Craked Rotors

I have the Powerstop crossdrilled rotors and they are cracking pretty bad (Thanks Mike). Anyone ever had that problem with an aftermarket crossdrilled rotor? I know they aren't indestructible or anything it is just they don't have any real miles on them maybe 10K. I only have 15K on the car. I don't brake hard very offten so I am at a loss for words as of yet. I plan on calling the manufacturer and seeing if they want to back up there product etc.. Just asking for my own curiosity.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty normal for drilled rotors that have been used "hard" (you said you don't stop hard "that often") to crack. That's what I've been trying to explain for the longest time. Many guys say "it won't happen to me" (and for some of them it won't), but it does happen to some, you must fit that category. I'd switch to a Brembo OEM rotor (solid, no slots/holes) and put the troubles behind you.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Drilled rotors are just pre-cracked ...

All it takes is a single temperature excursion to begin the cracking process. The cheaper the metallurgy, the more risk there is.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:44 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Brembo OEM rotors? Will they warp like the factory ones? Whats the poll say LOL!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm shocked!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the brembo oem blanks are supposed to last very good...and not warp...well unless you drive through a puddle of water just after autox'ing..
Old 02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 777
the brembo oem blanks are supposed to last very good...and not warp...well unless you drive through a puddle of water just after autox'ing..

I've beat on them with several sets of race pads. I run evil, nasty pads that chew up rotors (not the rotors fault) and I've never warped a set, I just grind them down to "nothing" and throw them away (Brembo rotors). They work great for me.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:40 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Thanks Trackbird I looked at your articles you found on the crossdrilled/slotted rotors. I found it very imformative I knew about the gases and the crossdrilled holes, but I also was a believer that it make them run cooler and last longer. So I think a lot of other would like to have this info too. I just never visit this section much as I am like most and just trying to make the car faster and no concerned with slowing it down LOL! I think I am going to do the Brembos. Where are you buying them at Trackbird?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Thanks Trackbird I looked at your articles you found on the crossdrilled/slotted rotors. I found it very imformative I knew about the gases and the crossdrilled holes, but I also was a believer that it make them run cooler and last longer. So I think a lot of other would like to have this info too. I just never visit this section much as I am like most and just trying to make the car faster and no concerned with slowing it down LOL! I think I am going to do the Brembos. Where are you buying them at Trackbird?

www.stranoparts.com or www.tirerack.com
Old 02-02-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious, what type of rotars where that, powerslots?

thanks
jimmy
Old 02-02-2005, 04:11 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Lok in the original post "Powerstop". Bought them from Summit Racing.