Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Questions about shock install.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about shock install.

I'm buying 4 KYB AGX shocks, and an Energy Suspension Hyperflex master kit for my 99Z. I just turned 109,000mi, and none of this has ever been replaced. I see on the site where I'm getting the shocks that they do not come with boots. I checked KYB's homepage, and they do not list a boot for them.
Am I supposed to re-use the origional boots? (De carbon shocks)
I also found on KYB's site that there is a shock mount (left and right) Do I need to buy these also? Why/why not?
As for the ES master kit, is there anything else in the suspension (normal "wear" items) that need to be replaced?
Kit includes:HYPER-FLEX SYSTEM Complete Master Bushing Set w/ V.8 (Except 1LE suspension option) Includes: Front and rear control arm bushings, front and rear sway bar bushings, front and rear end link set, transmission and torque arm mount, rear panhard bar bushings, tie rod end boots.
I remember on some "a" arm bushings , you had to press the old bushing out of the metal shell, and press the new one in.
Do I have to do anything like that here?

Thanks for any and all answers.
I'm gonna be busy installing this stuff along with a GMMG cat/back hopefully next weekend. Also planning on replacing the POS monsoon speakers as per the sticky in the stereo forum.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my front shocks on my 99 SS last Sept. It took over 4 hours to do each side of the front. The design traps water and the top shock mount was rusted tight and I had to cut off the top nut on the shock. The design doesn't allow you to use a nut buster and I had to chisel off the nuts. I had only 23 K on the car and was trying to save the stock DeCarbons and wasn't able to do it. The rear are very easy and did both along with the heater hose lowering mod in under 2 hours. I have replaced my panhard bushing and you will need a press to put them in. I would guess the same would apply to the a arms and rear control arms. The sway bar and trans mount would need one. The hard part of the torque arm front bushing is tightening one of the three bolts that mount the arm to the trans. I had to have my son help me. You really need three hands for this one.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmiller
I did my front shocks on my 99 SS last Sept. It took over 4 hours to do each side of the front. The design traps water and the top shock mount was rusted tight and I had to cut off the top nut on the shock. The design doesn't allow you to use a nut buster and I had to chisel off the nuts. I had only 23 K on the car and was trying to save the stock DeCarbons and wasn't able to do it. .

This is exactly what happent to me today when i updated my car with new koni and bmr lowering spring. All was so rusted at the top of the package that i was forced to destroy the shock.