Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Dropping it!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping it!!

I'm planning to drop my car, nothing big. An inch is my plan. Question is an inch fine? I'm up in Boston a lot of shitty roads a lot of speed bumps plus snow. Should I get the H&R springs or the Eibach ones? Also do y'all recommend getting new shocks with those coils?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with Eibach, you'll be getting a drop that is MUCH MORE than 1" (even if it is only a Pro kit). You'll just have to trust me on that one. I think BMR does a 1" drop. 1" isn't too much, but it'll look nice, and keep you from riding the bump stops on shitty roads. With your planned exhaust mods, I'd keep to a 1" drop. I have mine set at 1.5" drop all around (adjustable coil overs) with long tube headers, and I've scraped one part of it in a parking lot one time.

Now, the shocks...if you plan on making it handle well, shocks will be a must. Stock shocks don't damp very well at all, so a nice set of Bilstein HDs would be right up your alley. If ride quality isn't important to you, then don't worry about it. I've been in cars with stock shocks and an Eibach Pro Kit, and the ride was actually pretty nice. Not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
I'm planning to drop my car, nothing big. An inch is my plan. Question is an inch fine? I'm up in Boston a lot of shitty roads a lot of speed bumps plus snow. Should I get the H&R springs or the Eibach ones? Also do y'all recommend getting new shocks with those coils?
For an inch drop you have a few options.

1. SLP/Eibach springs and Bilstien HD's. Not too expensive and they work well for an inch drop.

2. Koni SA's. The front shock has two mounting locations for the spring perch. Use the lower one and that will drop the front an inch. Then, remove the rear rubber spacer from above the spring and slip some rubber heater hose around the top coil of your rear springs. That will lower the rear between 3/4 and 1" (and give you excellent shocks with the money you saved by not buying springs).

As far as the H&R springs. The spring rates on them are quite high and you will need Koni's to damp that spring rate. So, you're going to make it much more expensive to do the job properly. I have H&R springs and use them for autocross and really like them. But, putting them on the car with Decarbons or Bilstien HD's will make you miserable. I drive my car daily and we get potholes and such from the salt and winters here in Ohio and my car has few problems with the ride height (but I am running stock exhaust). Headers may change that considerably.

Here's a pic.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you go with Eibach, you'll be getting a drop that is MUCH MORE than 1" (even if it is only a Pro kit). You'll just have to trust me on that one. I think BMR does a 1" drop. 1" isn't too much, but it'll look nice, and keep you from riding the bump stops on shitty roads. With your planned exhaust mods, I'd keep to a 1" drop. I have mine set at 1.5" drop all around (adjustable coil overs) with long tube headers, and I've scraped one part of it in a parking lot one time.

Now, the shocks...if you plan on making it handle well, shocks will be a must. Stock shocks don't damp very well at all, so a nice set of Bilstein HDs would be right up your alley. If ride quality isn't important to you, then don't worry about it. I've been in cars with stock shocks and an Eibach Pro Kit, and the ride was actually pretty nice. Not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be.

I read that the Eibach ones are lower than '1' inch, so those are out, but you recommend the SLP package? How are those I'm fine with ride quality I got right now, don't really care about gliding on a cloud. Will the ride worsen with the SLP kit? I know stiff is good for just street racing any way. thanks
Old 02-19-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackbird
For an inch drop you have a few options.

1. SLP/Eibach springs and Bilstien HD's. Not too expensive and they work well for an inch drop.

2. Koni SA's. The front shock has two mounting locations for the spring perch. Use the lower one and that will drop the front an inch. Then, remove the rear rubber spacer from above the spring and slip some rubber heater hose around the top coil of your rear springs. That will lower the rear between 3/4 and 1" (and give you excellent shocks with the money you saved by not buying springs).

As far as the H&R springs. The spring rates on them are quite high and you will need Koni's to damp that spring rate. So, you're going to make it much more expensive to do the job properly. I have H&R springs and use them for autocross and really like them. But, putting them on the car with Decarbons or Bilstien HD's will make you miserable. I drive my car daily and we get potholes and such from the salt and winters here in Ohio and my car has few problems with the ride height (but I am running stock exhaust). Headers may change that considerably.

Here's a pic.

That Camaro look sweet. But um, I was wondering how much will I be spending on those options? I don't want my ride quality to worsen I like it the way it is now?
Thanks
Old 02-19-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Pro-kit Dropped my car More than 2inch's front and rear. I wouldn't advice it. I would say if you want an inch go Hotchkis. They will give your car a nice stance. The SLP Bilstein Pro-kit will ride good from what I've heard. But no matter what you do your going to have a firmer ride. Here's a pic so you can get a idea of how much the Pro-kit will drop your car.
Name:  DSC00252.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  56.6 KB

Last edited by skewba98z28; 02-19-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
That Camaro look sweet. But um, I was wondering how much will I be spending on those options? I don't want my ride quality to worsen I like it the way it is now?
Thanks
Thanks for the compliment, I'm pretty happy with the car (there's always room for improvement, but it's quite good).

The H&R kit and Koni's will run about $1000 (or so). And, the ride will be "stiff". I don't consider it to be bad, but you'll not confuse it with the ride of a stock vehicle.

The Koni SA method will run about $650 (give or take), but you'll have excellent shocks and your ride will be rather good (maybe even very good). That might be the best way to do what you are asking.

The SLP/Eibach and Bilstien HD will probably run about $600 (give or take), for that price, I'd buy the single adjustable Koni's and lower it that way. I think you'll be happier.

My thoughts.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Your a brave man to drop your ride in Boston. I have to say your roads are the worst I have ever seen and Ive been to LA,DC,MA and back again.

I have the SLP/Eibach with Bilstien shocks. Rides good (as it can be).

Name:  96889197.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  75.0 KB
Old 02-20-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frankdatank01
Your a brave man to drop your ride in Boston.
Or WOman. Check her User name.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
Or WOman. Check her User name.
Thank you for the correction. Please forgive. I am a jacka__.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

I just ordered Koni SAs and am going to drop it like TrackBird stated above by using the lower mounting perch. I've gone from Stock to Koni's/Ground Controls, back to stock, and finally back to the Koni's with the stock springs. I'm looking forward to having a very nice handling car on the road and doing pretty well at autocross and even pretty decent at the track. I think it's one of the most cost efficient ways to get your car to behave in a more all around way. IMO
Old 02-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Hotchkiss and they claimed, and were dead on 1"
all around.

I now have to respect speed bumps

They are not too bad for ride but stiffer. The Bilsteins
I initially tried out back made an uncomfortable
combo. I also found the rear looked too low for my
tast, even though the front and rear drop was the same
(I measured). I went and put some Gabriel air shocks in
back which mellowed out the ride and gave me the
ability to adjust the rake. I kept the SLP Bilstein fronts
and the setup now handles very nice, rides OK, looks
right.

If I had it to do again, I think I would go for the SLP
Eibachs which are about a 3/4" drop and a bit milder
rate. You can find these used if you keep an eye out.
Even new they are (were?) cheapest of the aftermarket
springs.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pro kit will drop way more than an inch! I switched from the Prokit to the Hotchkis springs after only 400 miles
here is with the prokit

and with the Hotchkis

I dont know if you can see it on the computer but the back speaks for its self, lots of scraping of the Spohn TA and the y-pipe not the headers.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Default SLP Bilstein Pro-kit

I went with the SLP Bilstein Pro-kit. The ride is perfect for what I want but I did want the car to go lower. I dont think I got the advertised 1.5 drop but just about a 1 drop. I only have about 50 miles on it so I hope it will settle somemore.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:42 AM
12 Second Club

would the Pro Kit effect launching a lot? cause i like how the pro kit looks.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmm...you are in kind of a difficult position. You want to lower your car, but you want it to ride like stock. If that is the case, I'd go with the Koni's and use the lower perch in the front and do the heater hose thing in the rear. When you start messing around with aftermarket lowering springs, you start having a hard time damping the different rates, or even knowing what those rates are. Stiff springs are going to make the ride a little more harsh...with the right shocks, it can be tolerable, but it sounds like you like the stock spring rates.

Quick Reply: Dropping it!!