Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how do you know when your shocks go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how do you know when your shocks go bad?

i have an annoying intermittant squeaking coming from front pass side of the car. normally happens when i go over some bumps or something... kinda high pitched, almost like a squeaky bed or something. but it doesnt happen all the time. shocks is what i came up with so far. any ideas?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Teching In

When I first bought my WS6 Trans AM with 41 k on it, I noticed an intermitent squeak from the rear end of the car. It was frustrating trying to find it. I took grease and sprayed it on the bushings, I called people and asked, and I wondered if it was the shocks. Nothing help. I again jacked up the rear end of my car, put jack stands under the frame and lowered the jack under the diff and listened for the squeak. I found that my rear sway bar bushings were squeaking. I took them off and lubed the insides. The squeaks were gone....hot dam!

You need to Isolate whats making the noise. Its difficult, but you would be more frustrated changing parts and not having cured your problem (the squeak). Hopefully more people will share there "squeak" issue and what fixed it. I know alot of these F-bodies have the same issues. Let us know how you fixed your problem!

The shocks main purpose is the slow down the travel of the suspension going up and down. Bounce the car at each fender and see if it the car continues to bounce after you stop pushing up and down on it. Also look for leaks on the stocks themselves.....

Last edited by RC_Y2KWS6TA; 02-25-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Launching!

my vette did the same thing shocks were shot had the Bilstiens rebuilt
Old 02-25-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RC_Y2KWS6TA
You need to Isolate whats making the noise. Its difficult, but you would be more frustrated changing parts and not having cured your problem (the squeak).
Actually RC I strongly disagree with you on that point....At least you get to play with the car and you spent some money on new parts

Quick Reply: how do you know when your shocks go bad?