Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HELP!!! Replacing Brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Replacing Brake lines

I am putting on Earl's steel braided brake lines and I can't figure out how to get the clip on the backside of the spindle off. Its where the hard line and the soft line attach. This is on a 99 T/A. Also is the soft line just a push through the hole in the bracket or does that very thin nut unscrew from something? Help trying to get this done and I don't want the system to run dry. thanks.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Also do you have to reuse the retainer clip that was on the old hose? It doesn't look like it will fit with the new nut on the backside of the Earl's lines. The nut is about a 21-22mm nut and the old piece on the hose that the retainer was on is about 18mm.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5LiterBeater
Also do you have to reuse the retainer clip that was on the old hose? It doesn't look like it will fit with the new nut on the backside of the Earl's lines. The nut is about a 21-22mm nut and the old piece on the hose that the retainer was on is about 18mm.
The retainer should still clip on to new hoses. You should re-use it, since it's there to keep the stress off of the hard lines to keep them from cracking.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5LiterBeater
I am putting on Earl's steel braided brake lines and I can't figure out how to get the clip on the backside of the spindle off. Its where the hard line and the soft line attach. This is on a 99 T/A. Also is the soft line just a push through the hole in the bracket or does that very thin nut unscrew from something? Help trying to get this done and I don't want the system to run dry. thanks.
The clip just pries straight up. Use a large screwdriver.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Earls Hyperfirm lines I just installed had a jam nut that secured the fitting to the bracket. No need to reuse the clip.

open up the clip ends and it releases tension on the clip. It will then slide off. But you have to raise both ears ...
Old 02-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Here's one for everybody, the rear center brake line has officially kicked my butt for tonight. The part where the left and right hard lines come into the rubber hose, the nut for the right line stripped. It rounded off big time. So now I guess I will have to go to a junkyard and find another one from a wrecked T/A. It just pissed me off becuase it was the last thing I had to do! (other than bleeding the lines and putting the wheels back on. Can anyone offer any suggestions on this? It sucks that I went through all of that effort to put on steel braided lines only to have one rubber one still there screwing it all up. Any help would be appreciated. Also is there a way to put a new nut on the end of the hard brake line? Or do you have to put a whole new one on for that section?
Old 02-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Banned

Could you please measure the length of the hoses? I have corvette brakes in the front and I will need different hoses in the front due to length. So, I will need to order each hose seperately. My TA is in storage and I can't get to it for a while. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Launching!

The rear center peice is 12.5", the fronts are 13" and the rears are 7.5" Hope this helps you out.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Banned

It helps alot. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:02 AM
Banned

I found a company who will make me a custom kit for a real good price. I just need to get them some information so that they build it right. Can you take some pictures of the stock hoses if you still have them? Also, any idea on the sizes of the connectors? Are they just -3 AN?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Cancel the last request.