Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear end is 1 1/2 inch off to one side...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005 | 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default Rear end is 1 1/2 inch off to one side...

because of relocation brackets. Will and APHB come close to getting things back to where they belong?
Old 02-26-2005 | 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

How do you know relocation brackets caused that?

Are you positive it's 1.5 inches?
Old 02-26-2005 | 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

adjustable panhard rod should do the trick...but i'd also like to know how your rear is off by that much...especially by just doing relocation brackets...i wouldn't think that that would have anything to do with the centering of the rear..
Old 02-26-2005 | 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Was it off before? I would go back and double check everything. Maybe even have a freind take a look to double check. A Double adjustable would help but 1.5" ..... somethings wrong
Old 02-27-2005 | 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah...that seems like an awful lot. What did you use to measure?
Old 02-27-2005 | 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Guy at the alignment shop said/printed something off that said it was off. Improperly welded relocation brackets is the culprit.
Old 02-27-2005 | 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

I'd get a second opinion.
Old 03-02-2005 | 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Improperly welded relocation brackets , sidewayes on the rearend ? I done this myself this winter , hole rearens was off the car . When i connected the rear i first put back all original stuff like PBH and LCA . After, when all was in place i begun to change panhard first , i measured the length of the original and adjust my G2 to the same .Connected the PHB into the car and same with the G2 LCA´s.There was no problem . Then i adjust the LCA into the relocation brackets from G2 .

Last edited by vikingramair; 03-03-2005 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2005 | 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

I added my adjustable panhard bar because the last time I got the rear-end aligned (or tried to is a better way of putting it) they said my rear was out of center, but there was no adjustment. This last time I don't think they even bothered to look at it (even though I paid them too). It looks to be in spec though. It was a hair out of spec ("if the wind blows it would be in spec" is what they said), so when I adjusted my panhard I adjusted to the same size as the stocker, then rotated it one thread in the direction I needed to go to align it.

How does it get out of alignment? Who knows. They said it must have been when I got rear-ended one time, even though it was not even hard enough to scratch the paint on the bumper cover.
Old 03-03-2005 | 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marlboro racer
Guy at the alignment shop said/printed something off that said it was off. Improperly welded relocation brackets is the culprit.

This happened to me. I ended up having to get adjustable LCAs. One side of my rear would sit further up in the wheel well than the other (only 1/2") and caused lots of rubbing and traction problems.

Try an adjustable PHR if possible, then adjustable LCAs are your next chance.
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:34 AM
Launching!
20 Year Member

Hey jd13, sent you a PM for information on how to correct this. Thanks,

Glen
Old 03-05-2005 | 05:44 PM
9 Second Club

Heres the deal with the relocation brackets.The instructions that bmr sends to you or similar company.They instruct you to susport the rear of the car with suspension loaded (jack stands under the rear end not on the floor pan)Next to remove one of the LCA's.With that done they think that the rear of the car wont move.Wrong it can move, theres nothing holding the rear center/straight, and thats why people have problems with the relocation brackets getting welded in the wrong place.See that one side is held in place by one LCA and the other is just floating around hoping that the driveshaft doesnt get pushed in or out making the alignment a problem.Thats want normally happens.To prevent this from happening you need to take a measurement from the center of the front tires to the center of the rear end so that the rear end is straight when your done(that is assuming your alignment is fine from the beginning).Once you got a measurement write it down somewhere and dont forget it.Now take your brackets ,LCA ,and rest of your hardware and put it together at that measurement and weld it. Of course do the same to the other side.Now that both sides are done the rear end is in the same place it was before,only thing that moved is the LCA's and that should be down towards the ground.Now for the rear not being centered on the car that can be simply adj. with a adj. panhard bar.

Quick Reply: Rear end is 1 1/2 inch off to one side...