Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to handle like a Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ford's IRS is a "clunky adaptation" that fits the solid axle mounts (there is one parked at my house right now....it's not mine). It's not nearly as refined as the Z06/C5 rear suspension. However, a solid axle can be made to work extremely well in its own right (Mitch already knows that). Ford seems to have gone back to the solid axle because it's cheap and it works well enough for their goals for that vehicle.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

If all you want is that high performance feel, get some better shocks, springs, swaybar and you will be there. If you want to OUTCORNER the Z06 (stock) add some R-compound tires.

I'm guessing you just want to get rid of the swaying feeling, nose dive and have the handling be lightning quick. The hard parts I mentioned above will do it along with a performance alignment and carefully set tire pressures.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The differences between solid axle and IRS from a purely performance perspective are not nearly as cut and dry as some people believe.

From a ride quality perspective though, IRS is far superior to solid axle. All that unsprung weight kills your ability to have a compliant yet optimally performing solid rear axle. With a good IRS, you don't have to compromise ride quality nearly as much to get optimal handling.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the big help in the z06 handling is not so much the independent rear it is the front to back weight ratio. The z06 uses a torque tube to transfer power from the engine back to the transmission which is between the rear wheels. This causes the z06 to be nearly a perfect 50 /50 front to back weight ratio. The f body has the transmission directly behind the engine causing a 57/43 front to back weight ratio. If you could move some of the weight off of the camaro nose you would also help your handling.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mbraun
If you could move some of the weight off of the camaro nose you would also help your handling.
That might be true, but there is only so much you can do. By far the biggest way to get that tight, fast response is shocks and springs. Once the car stops flopping around it feels really good and gives you that sporty feel. Shocks are the most important though.