Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cutting coils

Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting coils

i had a few ?'s if i cut my coils front and back how much do i cut off the front and how much from the back i want to kind of even out the front and back hight and i want to drop about 1-1.5 inches in the back and how ever far in the front to even it out and what side of the coil do i cut top or bottom i have a 2002 SS if that makes a difference i dont know if the springs are different in the SS's or not thanks for any help
Old 03-20-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

You dont want to cut a progressive stock spring. It will make the ride horrible sometimes and others it wont. Why risk it?? You had enough money to pay for a 02 SS, why not spend $200 on the proper way to lower it?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Yea, don't cut your springs. Kinda like playing Russian Roulet......buy some springs, you will be happier in the end.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

i see a lot of people on here that say its ok
Old 03-22-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not the smart way to lower your car. If you're only going for looks, you could probably get by with cutting your springs. If you want handling, then you're going to wind up changing the characteristics of the spring and ruining your drivability.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I swear some guys scream bloody murder if you mention cutting springs. They are just springs, once you know how they work, it is no problem cutting them.

On the front's, you don't want to lower more than 3/4" or else you won't have enough suspension travel for the spring rate. So if you want lower than that, you should replace the springs.

If 3/4 is enough, then you can cut them with a cutoff wheel. Don't torch them. Trim a little at a time and check the ride height. Cut the big end on the front and the rear. Do the front's first. The rears are a lot easier as they can be popped out pretty easily. The spring rates go up a little but not enough.

Shocks are even more important. Are you going to replace them?

PM me if you need more info.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

jason said it right, you can cut stock springs but not too much. Anyone know why(bet jason does), cause the lower you make the car the less travel for the suspension there is and if you hit a big bump you will bottom out. How do you fix that problem, simple increase spring rate, this is why you cant really lower your car more than 3/4", you will bottom out if you do cause the spring can no longer support the weight at the given height...
Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I swear some guys scream bloody murder if you mention cutting springs. They are just springs, once you know how they work, it is no problem cutting them.

On the front's, you don't want to lower more than 3/4" or else you won't have enough suspension travel for the spring rate. So if you want lower than that, you should replace the springs.

If 3/4 is enough, then you can cut them with a cutoff wheel. Don't torch them. Trim a little at a time and check the ride height. Cut the big end on the front and the rear. Do the front's first. The rears are a lot easier as they can be popped out pretty easily. The spring rates go up a little but not enough.

Shocks are even more important. Are you going to replace them?

PM me if you need more info.
What he said. I cut mine with no ill effects . . .
Old 04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Ricer mod
Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Ricer mod
Poor taste, dude.

Were trying to be serious, not make jokes.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

I'm just saying that its a "ricer" way of doing it. Lower your car correctly.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe back in the day heating springs with torches to lower a car was the cool thing to do. Maybe that's what you are thinking about.

We are refering to something very different. Coil spring manipulation is advanced and very acceptable to those in the know.

Some people use the term "ricer" as a negative. I don't know why. Are we making fun of imports or people? I try not to spread hate or extremist thoughts. It's a slippery slope, next you'll be calling oriental people "gooks" or something. That has no place here, nor is it acceptable.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah aftermarket spings arent very expensive. idk about the install tho on ls1's
Old 04-10-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Just for the fun of it I decided to cut my springs after having the Bilstein HD's w/ SLP Eibachs. I didn't like the combo too much so I decided to soften things up a bit by cutting the stockers.

I have been driving on them for a month now and these are my thoughts:

I cut 1 coil from the front and 1.25 from the rear. The ride is firmer than stock by a small margin. The stance is just right (I have not updated sig with new stance) I think the front fender is at 65 3/8 and the rear is at 65 7/8 inches. At low speeds I think the ride is just right and it handles bumps ok but at high speeds I am not completely secure. It bounces a little on the rebound. Since I am looking into some road racing I will most likely buy a 35mm front swaybar and perhaps some new springs but I can't seem to get anyone to give me a straight answer on what springs go well with the HD's. Everyone always says "get them revalved"....I'm not going to do it.

I may put the SLP's back on and give them a shot.

Brian
Old 04-10-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hagarr
It bounces a little on the rebound. Brian
I assume you meant the "front end" bounces a little? The bounce can be fixed with more low speed rebound. That's why some suggest revalving. Sam mainly increases the low speed rebound along with a few things he keeps secret.

On your stock cut fronts you have increased the spring rate from about 292lbs up to 330lbs. It's a small increase. On the rears you went up from 115lbs up to 135 or so which should be a little more noticable that the front rate increase.

As far are getting revalved bilsteins, you would have to buy new shocks up front and have Sam Starno get bilstein to revalve them to the specs he feels would work best for you. Then you would need to sell your current ones. I understand that can seem like a lot of money, but the next best thing I could recommend would be to get the Koni SA fronts. They cost more, but are adjustable in rebound. You can soften them for everyday driving and firm them up for the track.

Mitchntx is racing on stiffer springs and regular valved bilsteins, you might ask him directly about his springs and what he thinks. Sam Strano is also very familiar with different spring and shock combos as he has experimented with lots of setups. Both people can be found in this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/299670-bilsteins-might-stupid-question-but.html
Old 04-10-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
I'm just saying that its a "ricer" way of doing it. Lower your car correctly.
i was thinking the same thing. I see a lot of ricers bouncing down the road cause of cut springs. Funny as hell. I wouldnt cut to lower
Old 04-10-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
i was thinking the same thing. I see a lot of ricers bouncing down the road cause of cut springs. Funny as hell. I wouldnt cut to lower
There's a difference between cutting 3" and 1". Those Honda drivers cutting 3" off their coils are completely compressing their shocks while driving, giving them no compression or rebound. I cut 1" on both my fronts and rears with no adverse effects. Car looks much better now and I saved $200.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
There's a difference between cutting 3" and 1". Those Honda drivers cutting 3" off their coils are completely compressing their shocks while driving, giving them no compression or rebound. I cut 1" on both my fronts and rears with no adverse effects. Car looks much better now and I saved $200.
Learn something new every day
Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can we stop saying ricer?

Anyway, a lot of guys cut way too much off their springs. The car is basically bouncing around on the bumpstops and the stock shocks can't control them. I've seen that before several times even on muscle cars and trucks. That's no way to have performance or a smooth ride.

Basically, the lower you go the more spring rate you need to stay off the stops. The more spring rate you have, the more shock damping you need to control the springs. If you do your calculations and measuring right, you can cut stock springs. About 3/4" lower in front seems to be the limit. More than that you need stiffer springs. Cut too much and your ride quality will suffer due to hitting the bumpstops. The sudden change in rate will also upset your cornering ability.

A most excellent thread on this stuff can be found here.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502322

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-10-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
I just noticed what you were saying. They are not completely compressing their shocks. They do have compression and rebound. OEMs design their suspensions to compress the bumpstops fully before running out of shock travel.

If anyone is interested, I did a little write-up called "Stock Shock and Suspension Travel Specs" for the 4th gen F-body. It gives details on the shock travel vs. bumpstop under compression and so forth.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496920

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-10-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cutting coils