Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Those with coil-overs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with coil-overs

Have a question, Does anyone have the ground control coil-overs, if so,
which spanner wrench can i use with these? They don't come with a spanner wrench and just wondering where and what size i can get for these. I don't think the spanner wrench for the hals with work with these, any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

My ground controls came with a spanner wrench in the box.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Banned

Same here. Wrench came with the coil-overs.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea ground control is known for leaving stuff out of the box
Old 03-25-2005, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Do you guys know anywhere i can get a spanner wrench to fit these adjusters. Its too hard to get anyone at ground control on the phone, and they never return e-mails.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give Sam Strano a call and let him know what your situation is...from my understanding, it is stuff like this that made them go away from using Ground Control.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of universal spanner wrenches that would work.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQs...missingQ5fpart

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

If you need something asap. Some places sell a rubber strap wrench which will get the job done as long as it doesn't get real hard to turn.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

As a matter of fact, I did order these coil-overs through strano, they were shipped right from ground control, I spoke with him on the phone and he did say ground control did not include a spanner wrench, however if i ordered through him he would include spanner wrench which he never sent, so I've had the kit now for a few weeks. I did call strano and left a message, sent numerous e-mails, still havent heard anything from them. Needless to say, i won't be ordering through him anymore, strano's customer service really sucks!!! I'm ready to return these to him and get my money back. Thanks for the responses guys, i appreciate the info.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Something doesn't sound right. Are you sure you spoke with Sam JR? He knows exactly the deal with GC leaving out wrenches and bearings sometimes. I have no idea why he would say that GC doesn't include the wrench unless GC changed their policies recently.

GC guys are the jerks, Sam is a standup guy.

Try calling the shop from 11am-6pm M-F. If you call today Arlyn (his mom) might answer and give you an answer. You have to keep in mind that Sam, himself, is a racecar driver and my be away competing in another state. When that happens, he can be hard to get a hold of.

As much as GC's staff suck, they do make a great product and Sam is more than willing to help you get everything dialed in.

If I were you, I would just order a wrench and be done with it. I've been trying to get my wrench for about 9 months and the damn GC guys never send it.

Are you seriously considering sending the parts back? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would have to semi-agree with Jason. Using cross drilled rotors is actually the dumbest thing I've heard ...

I realize it is now the principal of the thing, but those spanner wrenches can be had for $10 all over the internet.

http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResu...yWords=spanner
From $5 to $50

As far as your issues with Strano ... something doesn't sound right. He and I go at it all the time and I have yet to be dissatisified with their service. There has been a few issues from time to time, but it always got resolved ... don't burn a bridge, here.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Using cross drilled rotors is actually the dumbest thing I've heard.
Only if you are doing laps or other extreme braking. For a street car, there's nothing dumb at all with them, right?

Damn right!
Old 03-26-2005, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Only if you are doing laps or other extreme braking. For a street car, there's nothing dumb at all with them, right?

Damn right!

I dont get it the Cross Drilled being dumb at all, I've been told otherwise
Old 03-26-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
I dont get it the Cross Drilled being dumb at all, I've been told otherwise
This is a little off topic, but to sum it up: Under extreme or race conditions the holes lead to small cracks after a while. I blank rotor is best for race use. Mitch assumes everyone is racing. On a street car the temps are lower and the holes don't really hurt anything. So it's OK on a street car. Lots of holes (think Baer Eradispeed) can make a noticable difference in the amount of surface area the pads make contact with. Cast holes, like Porche uses, not drilled holes are a different story.

I'm just messing with Mitch. ALso tommorow I'm going to install some new pads and rotors on my car. Mine are crossdrilled (20 holes) and slotted, zinc plated and black painted.

There's lots of brake threads with more info.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

All kidding aside ... I have yet to see a C/D rotor not form small fissures at each hole, each hole fill with brake dust after a small period of time or show any signs of improving braking, pad life of rotor life.

And Jason, if someone isn't racing, they should be driving a Pacer!

And some can view all this as "off topic" while other view it as a creative TTT.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NIGHTMAREWS.6
As a matter of fact, I did order these coil-overs through strano, they were shipped right from ground control, I spoke with him on the phone and he did say ground control did not include a spanner wrench, however if i ordered through him he would include spanner wrench which he never sent, so I've had the kit now for a few weeks. I did call strano and left a message, sent numerous e-mails, still havent heard anything from them. Needless to say, i won't be ordering through him anymore, strano's customer service really sucks!!! I'm ready to return these to him and get my money back. Thanks for the responses guys, i appreciate the info.
Dude, you're kidding right? You did not get a $5.00 wrench and you want to send your coil overs back . I did not get one either, yet I order all kinds of stuff from Sam. Once you get him on the phone, he will talk to you for as long as it takes to get your setup right. I have never had someone spend so much time on the phone making sure I got what I wanted/needed. We disagree on spring rates but he is a valuable source of information and parts.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Dude,
Its not the point of not getting a wrench. I just don't like to be told something thats not true. I thought when i got this kit, everything would be there so i could install it quick. I did talk to his mom, she took all my info and said that sam would be back on monday, last week, and he would be in touch with me. Still haven't heard anything. I did call and leave another message, sent numerous e-mails, I just wanted to know why he said he would send everything and didn't. And i was told that they were using a set up similar to ground control. I was told strano was making his own kit. Well this kit i ordered came right from ground control, not from Strano. I could have just ordered this right from ground control myself. But its not the point of not getting a $5 spanner wrench, you can get those wrenches from just about anywhere. But don't tell someone your going to send them something and not send anything at all, and not return their calls or e-mails, thats just bad business. I didn't intend to **** anyone off, just wanted some info thats all.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had to reorder a spanner wrench from GC a while back and it cost me about 12bucks.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NIGHTMAREWS.6
But its not the point of not getting a $5 spanner wrench, you can get those wrenches from just about anywhere. But don't tell someone your going to send them something and not send anything at all, and not return their calls or e-mails, thats just bad business. I didn't intend to **** anyone off, just wanted some info thats all.
Like I said ...

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I realize it is now the principal of the thing
And I guess it is now up to you ... is it worth boxing up and shipping back your suspension over a $5 part.

At some point in your life you will realize there are battles that are worth fighting those that aren't.

I don't like being lied to either, but sometimes **** happens.

And I don't see anyone pissed off but you.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

When it comes to the GC parts, Sam has them shipped directly from them to you. He could not physically have included a wrench. He probably meant that he would send one to you from his shop. It would have been in a seperate box. That does sound a bit unusual, but he might have meant to and either forgot or it got lost in transit.

Anyway, Sam is way better to deal with than the GC guys. Have you tried to contact them? They don't even answer their phones. They act real snotty because they know they make a great product and if anyone can't wait the 1-2 months to get it, they can go somewhere else. Plus they will try and talk you into 800lb front springs. Those dummies aren't worth the aggravation.

Since I wanted the GC front kit, I ordered through Sam and he helped me with spring rates and such and he had to deal with the GC guys, not me. I didn't get my wrench or the front bearings, but I got the bearings locally for $25. I used a strap wrench to adjust mine. No big deal to me. The product is great.

The only other alternative is the LG coilover kit for $1900. It's too expensive for me as well as more race oriented with the solid bushings, etc...

NIGHTMAREWS.6, did you get some shocks also?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

What the heck are these spanner wrenchs used for??? I just got these but dont know what they're for...sorry for the dumb question...I am new to the suspension world....

Quick Reply: Those with coil-overs