Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Couldn't get Hotchkis springs compressed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couldn't get Hotchkis springs compressed!

A buddy and I installed, or tried to install some Hotchkis lowering springs on my car last night. Rears went in fine, the fronts didn't go in at all. The two spring comressors we used on them wouldn't work. The coils are just too damn close together. How did you guys get them compressed?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

You're going to have to pry them open and possibly hammer in the compressor blocks.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I go one of mine on using a spring compressor from Autozone, BUT it took some hammering and scratched off some of the powdercoating. What I did was slip them on where the coils were wider and spun it down around the coils, compressed, installed on the strut mount, then used a hammer to spin it back around to a spot where I could get them off. A buddy came over to help me get the install done, and he brought his spring compressors with him and they worked MUCH better. His are SPC McPherson. See if you can find those from a sponsor, but if you can't, I know Jegs carries them.

-Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

They are real hard to install no matter what compressor you use the easy way is to take your front strut assembly's up to a local shock shop and pay $20 and have them use their compressor to install them and then go back and install the strut assembly on your car.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i used a compressor thats very similar to a wall mount style
Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Autozone compressor for mine and it was a bitch!

I had the "thread" the metal blocks down the coil the compress the spring to get it mounted. Then i took off the compressor and used a hammer and a small crowbar to thread the blocks back up the coil to where they would come out. You will scratch off some of the powdercoat but its bot bad. If you use something to pry the coils apart it will do less damage. If you do this you can leave the powdercoat near flawless, if you reallly care about it.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't want to mess with it anymore. I just paid someone to do it. I'll post some pics in a few days. Im very happy with the drop. Just what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Couldn't get Hotchkis springs compressed!