Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front sway bar install issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front sway bar install issue...

I've searched the forums and can't quite find an answer that helps me out...so heres my problem.

I'm installing new springs on my car and on the front had to take the sway bar endlinks off. Both of those ended up breaking (good lord they were rusty...on a Southern Utah only car with 35k miles!) and I got good energy suspension ones. Finally got the springs on the front and for the life of me can't get the swaybar and the lower control arm closer than an inch away from eachother! I've tried jacking up the car and then putting a jack on the control arm to put pressure on it, using drive up ramps, and even doing the worm under my car (yeah im skinny as hell) with it not jacked up, using a bolt and nut to tighten down one side and try to install the other...but NOTHING I do seems to get it close enough to install the endlinks correctly! I know I have the right endlinks, so that is not the problem...Anyone have suggestion before I just get fed up and limp my car over to a mechanic and pay him to do it?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:24 AM
Teching In

Can you post a pic?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the sway bar on upside down?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

The front endlinks on my eibach swaybars seemed too short and i couldn't quite get the nut started on the bolt. I was finally able to install it by compressing the poly bushings by prying up on the bottom of the bolt and down on the swaybar. Once it was tightened down and the bushings compressed it fit fine.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Is the sway bar on upside down?

Nope, never took the swaybar off.

Originally Posted by P Mack
The front endlinks on my eibach swaybars seemed too short and i couldn't quite get the nut started on the bolt. I was finally able to install it by compressing the poly bushings by prying up on the bottom of the bolt and down on the swaybar. Once it was tightened down and the bushings compressed it fit fine.
I've tried this and I just cant seem to get it to go on.

This has been an extremely frustrtating install for something so simple as putting on new springs...
Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Well maybe as a last resort you could use a come along to pull the sway bar towards the a-arm, and pry up on the bottom of the bolt at the same time. I don't know how well that would work but i'd try that before taking it to a mechanic.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Loose the bolts alittle that hold upp the swaybar towards the car on both side , now you can slant(move) the bar . Putt the wheels on and use those drive up ramps so you get the correct loaded weight to the car ( as it was on the gound) .This should solve the problem for you once both sides are connected , tight all bolts .

Quick Reply: Front sway bar install issue...