Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Baer GT plus brakes and Eradispeed rotors from Tybrne

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Baer GT plus brakes and Eradispeed rotors from Tybrne

Here's a summary of the problems I've had with Tbyrne trying to get Baer GT plus brakes and Eradispeed rotors.

I ordered over $1,100 worth of brakes on sale the day before new years in 2004. It's been 3 months since I ordered all of this brake equipment and I'm still waiting on the correct parts to arrive.
There were no indications of lead times or backorders when I ordered the brakes online, meaning I thought within a week I would have all the components I ordered. About 2 weeks after my order was placed I recieved a box with what seemed to be the rear rotors, Hawk brake pads, and 2 sets of Earl's solo bleeders. Because I didn't have the front Baer kit I didn't really think to check out the rear rotors, but they tunred out to be incorrect later on.
Now the wait for the GT plus kit started. I called about a week after the rear brake stuff arrived and was told that Baer was behind and I was on the list. The brakes would be sent out to me as soon as Tbyrne got their next shipment in. I called 2-3 more times over then next few weeks and was told the same thing. No set date or time frame was given on when I would receive the brakes. Finally after 2 months I recieved the Baer GT plus kit. It was at this time I figured out the rear rotors were incorrect and contacted Tbyrne the next day. Tbyrne said they'd send out a tag so the brakes could be shipped back at their expense and the new brakes would be shipped to me. Well I had to package the brakes back up and send them back. About 2 weeks later I recieved the second set of rear brakes, and received a call the same day from Tbyrne. They called to tell me that they might have sent me the wrong brakes again because the product numbers were "very close". I recieved the brakes and they were in fact the wrong brakes.
I called Tbyrne yesterday, 5 days after the brakes had arrived, because my family was out of town and I couldn't send the brakes back anyway. I called, but they were closed because it was after 6:00. Today I called Tbyrne to tell them the brakes were incorrect again. They told me they'd send out a paid return tag and a carrier would take the old brakes away while my correct rear brakes would be overnight aired to me.
I asked for some sort of compensation due to the numerous problems with my order, and the fact I spent over $1100 and it's been 3 months since I placed the order. Not to mention the incorrect rear brakes I was sent the first time were worth $500, the second incorrect set $430, and the rear brakes I actually ordered were only worth $230. I sent all the much more expensive brakes back, yet Carol Byrne could only offer me a $35 credit if they shipped the brakes ground instead of overnight air? I told her that wasn't compensation in my eyes seeing how the correct brakes should be shipped out to me ASAP anyways, and that I was very dissapointed with my expensive order thru their company. She then pointed out that she was greatful that I was honest and returned the more expensive brakes, but that I also didn't have to pay the shipping to return them! I was shocked seeing how the customer should never be responsible for paying the shipping charges on incorrect parts sent out by the distributer. To me I saved Tbyrne almost $500 by sending the more expensive brakes back and not just getting mad, keeping them, selling them on ebay, and ordering them some where else.
Yet they couldn't compensate me for all the time and trouble I've gone thru to let them get my order right.

I just want everyone to know the type of customer service I recieved even on a very expensive order thru Tbyrne. Also the problems Baer and Eradispeed had in getting their products to me thru Tbyrne. I say that because I've seen multiple posts by Tbryne touting sales on Baer and Eradispeed rotors with no mention of the lead time on the brakes, which were on backorder. I've ordered thru Tbyrne many times before and never had any problems. Just be warned if there is a problem, here's an example of how they might handle it.

Last edited by FAST LS1; 04-01-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What sort of "compensation" would have made you happy?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think an actual discount off the price was in order.
Maybe a $50-$100 Tbyrne credit would have helped.

A $35 credit to my account by sending the correct brakes ground instead of air was an insult.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry about your misfortunes, that def sucks but things happen.
I've ordered a lot from Tbyrne and only ran into a snag once, but it was only like $10 so no biggie, every other time I have been 110% satisfied
Old 04-02-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, you are not out anything monetarily ... just time ...

Good luck on getting ANY vendor to pay you for time ...

FWIW ... a vendor and I shipped the same lower control arm back and forth over a 3 week period of time due to a communications issue. It wasn't a life or death situation and all I was out was time.

I doubt you will accomplish much by posting this. Most everyone has experienced "issues" with a vendor.

By posting this, you've done nothing but burned a bridge with TByrne ... God help you if you have warranty issues ... I doubt Tom will be very helpful, now.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I still have the right to some kind of compensation seeing how I was billed months ago and don't have my parts.
If Tom had problems with Bear or Eradispeed he should have pushed the issue back onto them. He's their "customer" and if they left him high and dry he should be just as anxious to ask them for some kind of discount.
I'd also assume the actual parts are warrantied thru the manufacturer anyways, not the distributer.
If Tom doesn't want disgruntled customers posting their experiences with his company, I'd suggest just informing the customer up front of the potential lead times and not sending the wrong parts multiple times.

Mistakes happen. I'm dissapointed in my order with Tbyrne.
I know I would have liked to have known the issues with Baer and Eradispeed before I ever ordered all or their brake parts.

Last edited by FAST LS1; 04-02-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to hear you are having a bad experience... I've dealt with T-Byrne several times and he's a great shop to support.
imho, BOs do happen and people get pissed when they don't have the pieces right away... but it happens.
there was a screw up and it seemed the t-byrne was willing to make things right... it just seems you were trying to extort $ from them because you didn't get the piece yesterday.
you also posted this:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559329
and I contacted T-Byrne... it seems that it would have been appreciated if you at least have contacted him directly, or by email or any other means before badmouthing on the boards.

My advice... don't get into major mods, like engine mods... you'll lose temper... lot of things always go wrong.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad, experience, but bottom line is that, you did finally get what you ordered and paid for.

It sounds like Tbyrne, did communicate the best they could with you.

Now you want to talk about getting upset:

Go to Lowes, buy $14,000 yes $14,000 worth of custom kitchen cabinets . . .
Get billed 100% upfront. . . .
Wait 1 month for cabinets . . .
Loose 1 days pay to wait for delivery truck that winds up being 2 hours late . . .
Have 2 cabents damaged beyond use . . .
12 door and drawer fronts damaged beyond use . . .
Have every single door and drawer front have sone minor amount of damage . . .
Call Lowes 4 for replacements . . . .

NEVER GET A CALL BACK!!!!! Now feel mad . . .

Thank goodness KraftMaid is a good comapany and took care of everything for me.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seeing how this is the only thread not locked I'll say that I finally received my rear brakes from Tbyrne today.
I still believe I gave Tbyrne multiple opportunities to correct my order instead of just canceling it, and taking my business else where. The same rotors I could have gotten for less at another sponsor that would have probably had them to me within a week.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

MOST other vendors would have made YOU pay for shipping. Sounds like a Baer supply problem and TByrne did a decent job. I can understand them making a mistake and sending the wrong parts, but they were very upfront about it and corrected the mistake at THEIR expense. Do you realize how expensive shipping next day air is for brake parts??!!I can understand you being upset, but I don't see how you feel entitled to any money? Maybe you should have cancelled your order if you were that unhappy? Good luck either way. By the way, how do you like the brakes?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have denied it on your CC a long time ago. I give them a month window. Can't deliver, then cancel with them. If they try some phantom restocking fee, complain with CC you never got the parts so nothing to restock.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom
You should have denied it on your CC a long time ago. I give them a month window. Can't deliver, then cancel with them. If they try some phantom restocking fee, complain with CC you never got the parts so nothing to restock.

That's not a smart way to handle these transactions. If you decide to cancel the order, call the vendor and cancel it. Don't start the "I'll call my credit card company" crap. You just tie up funds and create a mess with the vendor. Meaning, you decide you want the order, then the credit card company won't release the funds and you can't get your parts without making several phone calls....gee, then you get mad. Did you ever see the thread on here where someone did that on a direct port nitrous intake? Then they got the intake done (and he decided he still wanted it), and it took quite a long time to get the CC to send the funds to the vendor to release the intake, delaying the whole mess by several days/weeks?

Even if it takes a month to get parts (or not get them), you should always try to resolve things through the vendor. Your credit card company will typically ask you if you've made an attempt to resolve this and it would require lying to them to get them to reverse charges. So, I'd be careful about just calling your card company, they may investigate and bill you after all.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
That's not a smart way to handle these transactions. If you decide to cancel the order, call the vendor and cancel it. Don't start the "I'll call my credit card company" crap. You just tie up funds and create a mess with the vendor. Meaning, you decide you want the order, then the credit card company won't release the funds and you can't get your parts without making several phone calls....gee, then you get mad. Did you ever see the thread on here where someone did that on a direct port nitrous intake? Then they got the intake done (and he decided he still wanted it), and it took quite a long time to get the CC to send the funds to the vendor to release the intake, delaying the whole mess by several days/weeks?

Even if it takes a month to get parts (or not get them), you should always try to resolve things through the vendor. Your credit card company will typically ask you if you've made an attempt to resolve this and it would require lying to them to get them to reverse charges. So, I'd be careful about just calling your card company, they may investigate and bill you after all.
Reading is a skill. I said cancel first then if they give you crap about restocking fees talk to CC. See you just wasted your time writing all that nonsense pertaining to nobody.

I don't care how long what takes. Don't take the money unless you have everything ready to ship.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom
Reading is a skill. I said cancel first then if they give you crap about restocking fees talk to CC. See you just wasted your time writing all that nonsense pertaining to nobody.

I don't care how long what takes. Don't take the money unless you have everything ready to ship.

Well, actually you said:

Originally Posted by Dom
You should have denied it on your CC a long time ago.
And then:

Originally Posted by Dom
I give them a month window. Can't deliver, then cancel with them. If they try some phantom restocking fee, complain with CC you never got the parts so nothing to restock.

I beleive what you meant was:

Originally Posted by Dom
I give them a month window. Can't deliver, then cancel with them. If they try some phantom restocking fee, complain with CC you never got the parts so nothing to restock and deny it on your CC.

So, writing is a skill. You seemed to indicate that you'd cancel with your CC first, then cancel with them. If I was following your instructions in order.

But, since we've clarified that, I guess there's little point in making an arguement of the finer points.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Yes haha.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a couple things I'd like to comment on...

1. Online ordering. It's a great thing sometimes. Sometimes it's not. Understanding when it is and isn't is important. The F-body aftermarket is not a huge market, plain and simple. Lead times on parts is a VERY common thing here, I would expect anyone who's bought many parts for their cars to understand that. I make it a habit NEVER to assume parts in stock, AND I don't order online. Just pick up the phone, and talk to somebody. Ask if it's in stock, and if not, what projected lead times are. Assume nothing, you know the saying.

2. When you receive parts, double check they're the appropriate parts. Always. Don't wait. Hell, this isn't even something specific to the F-body aftermarket. Just common sense to me. Tbyrne sent you the wrong parts, his mistake. You had the parts for almost two months and never even looked at them? That's your mistake.

In all honesty, I don't see the bad customer service here. Maybe not what I'd call stellar customer service, but if you think this is bad customer service, you need to try shopping some of the larger chains of retail outlets.

Quick Reply: Baer GT plus brakes and Eradispeed rotors from Tybrne