Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Guru needed! hating my Camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Suspension Guru needed! hating my Camaro!

Welcome everyone looking! Now for my problem. There is major noise coming from my front end whenever I drive over major bumps. It sounds like my ZO6's are going to fly off. I've gone under the car and see nothing wrong, but then again I'm not an expert on suspensions. I live in the San Fernando Valley in California and was wondering if anyone wants to take a look at what might be the problem. I want to get an idea what it might be before taking it to a shop and getting screwed with no vaselin ! I'll drive out to where you live or if you guys know of any honest shops out there that can help me, please let me know. My car is a 1998 Z28 clonned to a SS, A4, 18' ZO6, EBC green stuff brake pads, and thats about it. The sound goes away if I have the brakes applied going over the bumps. Hope this helps...Beers are included for the guru's who want to take a crack at the car !...Sam
Old 04-02-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has the car always done this or is the noise new? Did it appear suddenly or over time get louder?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Over time it got louder...I was thinking the dealer mickey moused something in the car to make the car sound like it was new and now that I got a hold of the car it makes the noise. I don't have a single clue what could be the problem?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

A few other questions, do you have the stock springs and shocks? Swaybar? How long since you did brake work on the car?

I was thinking along the lines of the sway bar bushings needing grease, but the brakes are the key. You might need to pop the wheels off and look at the brakes. There are 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the guide pins. You might undo those, grease the slides and then tighten them using locktite.

Check the 2 15mm bolts that hold the caliper bracket on as well. They should be at 74lbs.

While you have the front end in the air, wiggle the tires in and out on the top and side to side to check the wheel hubs. If there is any wobble at all, the hub might need replacing.

Check the tie rod ends and ball joints, also. These require a special technique, so you might need to take it to one of the better alignment shops. They have to check those things before doing an alignment and might check for free or maybe a small fee. In fact you might have these checked first before taking the front wheels off.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

One more thing, if you have some ramps or access to a drive on lift, you can get under the car and pull it down to flex the suspension. That works pretty well. If you suspect a control arm bushing, you can spray some silicone or white lithium grease around the bushings and see if that makes a difference.

Oh yea, can you describe the sound? popping, squeeking, grinding?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks JasonWW! The car might have been lowered because people tell me that they like my drop and I haven't even touch any of the suspension myself. The car is stock as far as I can see. I did the brakes almost a year ago. The sound is like pennys in a empty coke can.(Loud too) I wish I could have you look at it, but Texas is alittle too far for me. I will try what you told me and hopefully I will get a chance this weekend. I would hate to take my car to The Super Chevy Show this month and have this loud *** sound coming from it. Thanks again Jason!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
pennys in a empty coke can.(Loud too)
Man, that's a new one. Not sure what could make that sound. I would start with the basics, ball joints, tie rods, hubs. An alignment shop knows how to check for play in those. Bouncing the car while under it is a good thing to try. The fact that it got louder over time probably means a wear part and not an improper install of springs and shocks. Still, the fact that the brakes make it go away is weird. The deceleration under braking probably puts the tie rods, bearings and hubs under stress so that is why I was thinking of those.

If all else fails, there is a special tool you can get that has 6-8 clamps that you attach to various parts you suspect. Like the springs, tie rods, lower and upper control arm, etc... Each clamp has a small microphone in it. All of the wires are held out of the way with velcro straps and plug into a switch box. The box has a dial that lets you go from one clamp to the next. There is a volume control and headphones you wear. You put the dial to #1 input and carefully drive over a bump to make the sound. You do that for each input while listening. When you hear your sound you know it came from that mic clamp. It's a cool device and not too expensive, I think under $150. A lot of dealerships use them. If it comes to this, I'll get you some more info, but I think they were called Electronic Ears. I can't remember of the top of my head.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start with greasing the sway bar bushings and end links.
Those will groan once they get dried out. Graphite lock
powder or something else that will give you a persistent
lubrication. I've been using moly/graphite assembly lube
just because I had some laying about.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Launching!

to check ball joints and for play in the front end... jack up the car on the frame and put a prybar under the tire and pick up... if the ball joint is all over the place and all sloppy... its shot and u should probably get it replaced lol! Then wiggle the tires from side to side... if it isnt tight it will "jiggle" a lil or a lot pending how lose it is. If u dont feel play it will obviously be tight and everything should be fine... Also do what was listed above about lubing it all up! If this doesnt fix it, than take it to the local shop and have them skim over it... some places will check it out for free!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input guys!!! LS1Tech Rules!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd put money that it is the Ball Joints too. Seems to be the right time frame for it. I bet its is the popping sound. Also look at your tire wear. Does it look like your wearing down one side faster than another.
Do the ball joint test. Then lube, Also check to see if your dust shield over the shock got scrunched, happened to me and made weird noises over bumps until I found it.
Good luck.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to go with the install of the pads done improperly and the pads are rattling in the calipers. They probably just weren't set in there properly. Of course with a '98 there is also a good chance that the stock rubber bushings are shot too. Put your fingers in the front wheel well from the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel well. If it is more than two fingers (index and middle stacked) wide, there is a good chance that it was dropped. If that is the case there could be two ways they went, cutting or getting a Pro Kit in there. Either way that would be adding to destroying the front suspensions bushings especially over the I-5's bad seams and 101 and 170 being so crappy. Hope that gives you a good place to start.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the input guys!!! LS1Tech Rules!
pennies in a coffee can.. sounds like when my CAT went bad.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69Muscle
pennies in a coffee can.. sounds like when my CAT went bad.
Ohh, catalytic converter. The first time I read that I was thinking your cat was coughing up a hairball or something.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Welcome everyone looking! Now for my problem. There is major noise coming from my front end whenever I drive over major bumps. It sounds like my ZO6's are going to fly off. I've gone under the car and see nothing wrong, but then again I'm not an expert on suspensions. I live in the San Fernando Valley in California and was wondering if anyone wants to take a look at what might be the problem. I want to get an idea what it might be before taking it to a shop and getting screwed with no vaselin ! I'll drive out to where you live or if you guys know of any honest shops out there that can help me, please let me know. My car is a 1998 Z28 clonned to a SS, A4, 18' ZO6, EBC green stuff brake pads, and thats about it. The sound goes away if I have the brakes applied going over the bumps. Hope this helps...Beers are included for the guru's who want to take a crack at the car !...Sam

Sam.. there is only 1 shop to go to in northern Cali and thats Ground Control. Call over to GC and talk with Jay or Dale. Let them know you are having issues, explain the problem and they WILL know the answer. Tell them Alex Levy from Daemon Motorsports sent you over and they will take care of you..

http://www.ground-control.com

Quick Reply: Suspension Guru needed! hating my Camaro!