Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Help Asap-brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help Asap-brakes

Just changed the pads Hawk HPS and the driver's side front wheel brakes lightly without applying the brakes. The pistons don't open up properly I guess. I redone it -installed the pads again and still the same problem.
The brake fluid level is under the max sign what is fine.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say brakes lightly, do you mean it wont release the brakes? Based on what you have said, and not seeing the car, I was thinking collapsed brake line.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Brakes are fine, lightly I meant becouse the new pads.
Brake pads rub aganst the rotor on the driver's side front wheel, even without applying the brakes. The car brakes on it's own....
Old 04-08-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hrmm, that's odd. Did you force the pistons all the way back inside the caliper when you re-installed the pads? Also are you sure everything is perfectly seated/installed... specifically the rotor? Did you change rotors at the same time? If not, did you check to see if the pads are the same (proper) thickness as the others? If you're sure the calipers are in the proper operating order... I've gotta ask if you've fully completed the Hawk break-in procedure?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The pads are going to touch the rotors, without applying the brakes. So when you are coasting, put it in neutral, and see if in fact it is braking, youll notice it. If you just keep rolling, and dont stop then they fine. If the brakes were "dragging" like you say, the rotors would turn RED hot in just a few miles.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot to say, they are a floating caliper, Spin the rotor by hand, it is going to drag lightly.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Well they are not red hot only brakes slightly. The driver's side front brake brakes as it stated above and a wheel is HOT unlike the others. One of the piston does not go back ---> does not realese the pad (brakes)-------------->uneven wear on one pad.
I did reinstall the hole thing 3 times already.
What I was told the piston probably "rusted in" due to the shorter movement of the old pads.
Solution:
Insert the old pads put back the caliper apply the brakes.
Take appart the hole thing push back the pistons, old pads back, put back the caliper, apply brakes.
Repeat it several times- it suppused to cure the problem by fully moving in and out the pistons.

Well I give it a shot then I hope....
Old 04-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If the piston is "rusted-in" then the caliper needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he ^ said. If the piston is frozen in place then replace the caliper. If it were me I'd replace both front calipers.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHun
Just changed the pads Hawk HPS and the driver's side front wheel brakes lightly without applying the brakes. The pistons don't open up properly I guess. I redone it -installed the pads again and still the same problem.
The brake fluid level is under the max sign what is fine.
If the piston is stuck, it will be impossible to get the new pads installed on the rotors. So, I'm guessing that you have a (or a pair) of stuck slider pins on that side. You can put the pads in, bolt it in place and then bolt on the tire. This will pull the brake disk into the pads and will cause the dragging brake/rapid wear/really hot brakes type of problem. I'd pull it off and see if the pins are frozen or if they move freely. I'm going to bet they are frozen.

My thoughts.