Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks and Springs need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks and Springs need advice

OK I'm tired of losing in esp to those stupid all wheel drive evos and stis! Can someone help me? I went the wrong way in setting up my camaro ss by dumping a lot of money into the engine. It's just a loud burnout machine on the autox course.

I just in staled an lg motorsports panhard rod w/double rod ends and an st 35mm swaybar. What a difference they made. I'm still on street tires. Bfgoodrich gforce kd. They seem to do the job. Better then my eagle f1.

I have been reading and searching for some well shocks and springs. But I just can't find what I need. I don't what to spend money and not turn out the way I what.

What I found to work the best from reading other forums. For shocks Koni sa/3gen bilstiens, and Koni sa/3gen koni sa and Sam’s revalved bilstiens.

I know all about lowering with konis and removing the rear isolator. I want to lower more then that. I would also like more spring rate. I can't afford ground control coil-overs. Eibachs are to low for the spring rate. g2 springs are to stiff in the rear. Hotchkis are progressive which i hear it's bad for handling.

One setup came to mind. I found some people on the forums using it. Ground control coil-overs in the front with 500lbs springs. Stock rear springs 114 lbs. 35mm front swaybar 21 rear swaybar. Revalved bilstiens front 3gen bilstiens rear

Ok that’s a lot of typing sorry. Can someone help me?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Sam Strano (check www.stranoparts.com for contact info). He knows these cars inside and out and will help you get a setup that suits YOUR needs. Everyone who has taken his advice has ended up very happy. I went with Hotchkis and KYB GasAJust shocks and it works as a daily driver, but as a serious auto-x car, I doubt it would do well. In hindsight, I wish I had called him before I got this setup.

-Mike
Old 04-17-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Call Sam Strano (check www.stranoparts.com for contact info). He knows these cars inside and out and will help you get a setup that suits YOUR needs. Everyone who has taken his advice has ended up very happy. I went with Hotchkis and KYB GasAJust shocks and it works as a daily driver, but as a serious auto-x car, I doubt it would do well. In hindsight, I wish I had called him before I got this setup.
-Mike
I'm glad I talked to Sam as well, I learned what NOT to do from my first f-body, a 93Z28. This time with my '01SS, I spent a LOT of time and numerous calls to Sam Strano, I appreciated his honesty and I am pretty thrilled with what I have...

Hindsight is 20/20, instead of the 500# front springs I would have opted for the 550# front springs. The 150# springs and Koni DA's on all 4 corners gives me a great handling vehicle, I'm tickled pink!

I also have the LGMotorsports subframe connectors and adjustable PHR and Sam's hollow 35mm front swaybar too, so I have just about a complete package that works tremendously well on the street. I have never done autoX, but I bet that, with some driving time, I would be very competitive with my setup.

EugenioSS has a very similar setup, he also has 315 width tires on all 4 corners, and that helps tremendously when he does autoX...

Great tires help tremendously too!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can go with the GC front package for $225 with 500-550 or so rates and then take the stock rears and cut the big end about one coil. This drops the rear and makes the rate go up to 135lbs. Want a stiffer rear, add metal spacers, 2 in each coil makes the rate go up to 155lbs. You can remove the rubber isolaters to reduce ride height if you want. It works extrememly well and is very cost effecient. I bought extra rear springs from a salvage yard for $15 ea. and modded them before hand and got some spring rate measurements just to confirm my theoretical rate increases, worked like a charm.

Nitto 555RII are serious tires and can be run on the street. They make a huge difference.

The Koni SA up front are sweet in that you can adjust the rebound to make them respond fast or slow. It helps you really dial them in. If you can't afford the Koni Sa up front, then Sam can have some Bilsteins revalved to match your setup for less than the Koni SA's. In the rear the Bilsteins (3RD gen) are fine.

A performance alignment also helps. -1* camber and zero toe really help the front to stick.

Stronger brakes can also help reduce your times. The stock pads feel like crap compared to some serious, grippy pads. Williams makes a pad just for S2 autocross. They are progressive in feel to prevent the nose from suddenly dropping and upsetting the balance. They are way stronger as you keep your foot in it. I'm sure better brakes could help you beat the EVO's and STI's.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-18-2005 at 02:23 AM.