Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What will bring back my steering response?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What will bring back my steering response?

After I had the BMR K member installed replacing my slightly bent stock K member, the car just doesnt respond like it use to. What can I do to get it back?

I am doing SFCs very soon, I'm sure they will help a tiny bit. What about the STB and a larger sway bar?

Thanks
Brandon
Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just changing the k-member shouldn't have any effect on steering response. It's a structural member and doesn't directly contribute to the handling of the car.

But... the car had to be re-aligned as a result of changing the k-member.

The new alignment must be different than the old one. Who aligned it and did they give you the specs they set it to?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John_D.
Just changing the k-member shouldn't have any effect on steering response. It's a structural member and doesn't directly contribute to the handling of the car.

The new alignment must be different than the old one. Who aligned it and did they give you the specs they set it to?
With it being lighter, there is less weight on the wheels. Wouldnt it make the steering feel lighter, and quicker? I believed it does contribute to the handling of the car as now the nose is lighter. In a hard turn, without knowing the front and rear weights, the car would have a tendency to understeer more than with the stock k-member. I suggest, a alignment if you havent had one, and a STB (though most view it as a minimal gain).
Old 04-19-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by John_D.

I dont see how that is correct. The K member is thinner allowing way more front end flex than the stock 40lbs unit.

I did have it aligned and he did not give me the specs. What are the specs it should be?

With new stiffer bilstein shocks and 275/35/18 tires you would think it would be even more touchy than whehn it had the decarb shocks and 275/40/17 tires. But that is definately not the case.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/

The admin is Trackbird, these guys really know whats up, and will be able to answer any sort of handling question you throw at them
Old 04-19-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

LMAO... 2 pts. for slipping the Frrax site into a thread.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

- - -
Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Beefier Front sway bar from Spohn and some upper and lower control arms up front will make a night and day difference.