Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

3rd gen brakes on 4th gen rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd gen brakes on 4th gen rear end?

hey, i have the chance to get a 4th gen rear end for my car for pretty cheap. I need to know if i can use my 3rd gen drum brakes on the 4th gen rear end. Its got no braks or backing plates right now. i need to get my car back up and running ASAP and this is the closest rear end available to me. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crovax WS-6
hey, i have the chance to get a 4th gen rear end for my car for pretty cheap. I need to know if i can use my 3rd gen drum brakes on the 4th gen rear end. Its got no braks or backing plates right now. i need to get my car back up and running ASAP and this is the closest rear end available to me. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Most people try to go the other way around. Personally I would look for the 4th gen brakes. Have you tried thirdgen.org? And you do know the 4th gen rear is wider
Old 04-22-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated, the 4th gen rear is wider and you will need 4th gen wheels for the rear of the car (and spacers to install those same wheels on the front). It's considerably wider (nearly 2" per side as I remember). Many have converted the 3rd gen 10 bolt to use the LS1 rear brakes, so you could probably use the rear as is.....except your wheels will not fit properly (if at all).

Quick Reply: 3rd gen brakes on 4th gen rear end?