Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Revalved Bilsteins/Hotchkis Springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revalved Bilsteins/Hotchkis Springs ?

What do you all think of this combo over the Koni's? I am looking for about a one inch drop I would say. Below is what Sam Strano said about the Koni's:

The use of the Koni's to lower will drop the front of the car about 3/4", and the rear approximately 1/2" or so. Beyond this option, you are into a minimum of 1" drop springs, which do cause problems with cars that have the ground effects.

Pictures of the car can be seen here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/308363-19-evo-s-sgm-ss.html

I am personally afraid that that will not lower the car enough...
Old 04-24-2005, 06:35 AM
Banned

I went with Ground Control's and Bilstiens, revalved for the front. Sam helped with spring rates and the revalving rates. I currently am at stock ride height since I didn't have the time in the fall to do an alignment if I lowered it. The GC's might cost more than just lowering springs, but I have the height adjustability and was able to choose the spring rates that work best for my setup. Hope this helped.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input. That is the thing though--I highly doubt I will ever change the setup once it is installed.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

same questoin about Bilsteins and Hotchkis springs.....
Old 04-24-2005, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

A buddy of mine runs this set up and its very nice. Makes the car go through the twisties like a champ.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it would be enough. IT would be lower than you think
Old 04-25-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you all think this would handle compared to the Koni's?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Banned

I don't plan on changing it either. But, I will be able to corner balance may car which has nice handling benefits.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good point. I'm seeing what Sam has to say about this also.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else?
Old 04-26-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoneSS
Anyone else?
Getting revalved Bilstein's to match your springs will work great. I do not know what settings the non-adjustable Koni's are, so no information there...

The nice thing about the SA & DA Koni's is that they are initially valved higher than other shocks out there, and the fact that you can adjust them based on the springs that you have is a GREAT benefit. You may want to change the springs to something more stiff, and all you would need to do is to change the settings on the adjustable Koni's and bada-bing, bada-BOOM.

Here's the catch though, you may not know where to start with the settings of the Koni's depending on what springs you buy, you would need to find someone who may have some information for you to get you a starting point and go from there.

For someone who is not going to switch springs EVER, then revalved Bilsteins will be MORE than adequate, they will work great.

Now, if you think that you may be changing springs in the future, then I think the adjustable Koni's should be your choice. SA Koni's for street driving applications and DA's for the best you can buy.

JMHO...
Old 04-26-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think if you aren't going to be changing the SA settings then why have them? I say go with the revalved Bilsteins. I love my Koni's and wouldn't go any other way but the price is pretty steep. I liked the idea of being able to adjust the settings to my liking and having the car ride the way I want. But if the bilsteins are revalved to match springs then you won't have any problems. My truck has a set of lowering shocks and they work great. They made for the springs that I have so the ride is just fine. I would think it would work the same for our cars too
Old 04-26-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I think if you aren't going to be changing the SA settings then why have them? I say go with the revalved Bilsteins. I love my Koni's and wouldn't go any other way but the price is pretty steep. I liked the idea of being able to adjust the settings to my liking and having the car ride the way I want. But if the bilsteins are revalved to match springs then you won't have any problems. My truck has a set of lowering shocks and they work great. They made for the springs that I have so the ride is just fine. I would think it would work the same for our cars too

I heartily agree...

The DA Koni's that I have are overkill for street applications really...But BOY SUCH OVERKILL! I do love the ride. Only reason why I got the Koni DA's was that I got them for a song, and they were brand new, couldn't pass it up. I probably would have gone for the revalved Bilstein's, and at the same time, I am sooooooo glad I got the Koni's.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the SA and DA Konis good for drag and corner carving capabilities? Or would revalved Bilstein's be suffice? Thanks

John
Old 04-26-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by F8L LS1
Is the SA and DA Konis good for drag and corner carving capabilities? Or would revalved Bilstein's be suffice? Thanks

John
I dooooon't think Koni's are good for drag racing, more for cornering. My understanding for 1/4 milers, you would want a somehat softer shock, and corner carvers would want a shock that is more responsive, which equates to a quicker shock(stiffer)...

Okay, not necessarily stiffer, I can't think of the word, more responsive for rebound & damping???

Any 1/4 miler enthusiasts out there that can respond to this???
Old 04-26-2005, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoneSS
What do you all think of this combo over the Koni's? I am looking for about a one inch drop I would say. Below is what Sam Strano said about the Koni's:

The use of the Koni's to lower will drop the front of the car about 3/4", and the rear approximately 1/2" or so. Beyond this option, you are into a minimum of 1" drop springs, which do cause problems with cars that have the ground effects.

Pictures of the car can be seen here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308363

I am personally afraid that that will not lower the car enough...
Have you thought about the SLP bilsteins (revalved) and the matching SLP Eibachs (1" drop)? My mom's has those on her firehawk and it rides better then my SS when I had Koni's SA up front/Revalved Bilsteins in the rear with Hypercoils springs, I have since changed the hal F's on all fours. I heard the wait on Sam to revalve is a few months but I may be wrong. Let us know what happens, I am thinking of changing my current setup now for a little better ride

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
I dooooon't think Koni's are good for drag racing, more for cornering. My understanding for 1/4 milers, you would want a somehat softer shock, and corner carvers would want a shock that is more responsive, which equates to a quicker shock(stiffer)...

Okay, not necessarily stiffer, I can't think of the word, more responsive for rebound & damping???

Any 1/4 miler enthusiasts out there that can respond to this???
My buddy has the SLP level one kit with the SLP bilstein revalved and the SLP eibach springs and that thing SQUATS! He has cut some 1.6x 60ft with those which is pretty good for a non drag spring/shock setup. If you want the best of both worlds for the 1/4 and the street, try going with Hal F's all the way around with a desired lowering spring. Search and check some out.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have revalved Bilsteins and Hotchkis springs and love it. Its a little stiff but corners VERY well. The only problem is that the rear squats a lot under hard acceleration.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I have revalved Bilsteins and Hotchkis springs and love it. Its a little stiff but corners VERY well. The only problem is that the rear squats a lot under hard acceleration.
Thanks for that input. I have been trying to decide between Koni's and Bilsteins. I am going Koni's. Thanks man
Old 04-27-2005, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. A LOT of great info in this post!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have koni DA's up front and SA's in the rear. awesome combination.
I autocross and road course it pretty often. that is my main goal. but when i hit the drag strip (once or twice a year), last time out i got a best 1.57 short time with 10.5 inch ET streets. i just set the front DA's to full soft and remove the sway bar, and the car hooks. so i have my cake and it too.

Quick Reply: Revalved Bilsteins/Hotchkis Springs ?