Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

sfc question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sfc question....

I had sfc's welded on a couple of weeks ago by a shop locally that's done them many times before. The thing is after getting the car back I have a "thump" when I hit pot holes and sometimes on a hard launch. It sounds like something smacking the bottom of the car and it sounds like the drivers side rear area. I've gotten under there and looked everything over and can't find anything that's hitting the car. The suspension was loaded when the sfc's were installed because I was there when they welded them in. Is there anything I might be missing that would cause that thump? I also recently (post sfc install) started randomly doing one legged burn outs. I assumed it was my rear on the way out but I'm wondering if it's possible that a binded control arm could be causing the thump and somehow keeping that wheel from spinning, is that even possible?? Another thing that makes it even harder to pin point is I put my stall in the week before and had the exhaust and everything else out of it so it could theoretically be that but I shook everything around and nothing seems loose to me. It takes a pretty big bump before I hear it. A small bump in the road doesn't do it but say a pot hole at 40 mph it does.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LCA's might not be torqued down to spec. They tend to bang when they aren't.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
The LCA's might not be torqued down to spec. They tend to bang when they aren't.
Agreed.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Launching!

I'll look up the torque spec and give that a shot. Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming that torque spec is gonna be somewhere in the " breaker bar 2 handed yank" range.

edit:
I looked it up and it's 87 ft.lbs. I would've thought more.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

It sucks when you have to use a 3/8 torque wrench, cuz your 1/2" wont fit on there...tell me how I know...
Old 04-27-2005, 02:12 AM
Launching!

I noticed when I was looking it over it's kind of tight in there. Does the suspension have to be loaded when putting those in and out? I won't have to remove them to torque them down but I'd like to do aftermarket ones in the near future.
Also, is it remotely possible for the LCA to effect the posi in the rear? It sounds pretty far fetched to me but if it's not applying torque to the rear equally is it possible?? That side is the one that's been hit or miss as to whether it spins.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

If you have an adjustable panhard rod, check the jam nuts on that as well. Don't ask me how I know.

-Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine made noises too at first. I tightened them biatches down to 90 ft/lbs of torque (per BMR instructions), and now no problems at all!
Old 04-28-2005, 05:44 AM
On The Tree

Default knocking noise.

When you go to retorque the lca's. I suggest that you raise the back end of the car while you loosen the nuts. Then set the car on the ground, ensure that your panhard bar is adjusted (with locktite), and then with the phb adjusted to center u out, torgue those lca's with all the weight of the car. This tends to prevent preload, especially with poly bushings.... my 2 cents.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Just wanted to update the thread in case under some rare circumstance someone uses the search function and finds this thread.

I torqued my LCA's down and that fixed the problem. The bolts were very loose. Not about to fall off or anything but no where near the torque spec.