Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can I do coil-overs with a moser 12 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I do coil-overs with a moser 12 bolt?

If so, which brands?
If not, why?

TIA
Old 04-27-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, cause the perch on the moser is the same perch they send you to raise/lower the car its just a bit bigger. Dont ask me how to fix it cause i have no idea but im going through the same ****, i called GC and they dont know **** , i called strano and his wife doesnt know **** so i may end up having to buy different springs cause i dont have time to **** with it.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

try to get only the front ground control set up, for the rear set up, look at circle track shops, there you can get the springs you need, and the adjustable perches for them.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. Out of curiousity, why would 'circle track' shops have the necessary springs and adjustable perches? (I know nothing about circle track racing)
Old 04-28-2005, 01:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 6']['9
no, cause the perch on the moser is the same perch they send you to raise/lower the car its just a bit bigger. Dont ask me how to fix it cause i have no idea but im going through the same ****, i called GC and they dont know **** , i called strano and his wife doesnt know **** so i may end up having to buy different springs cause i dont have time to **** with it.
Hey, cool it. There is absolutely no need for that crap. And that's not my wife, but my mother. Not that it's called for, or that I'll tolerate that either way. I'm sure you wouldn't either.

12-bolts are real common to cars with Ground Controls. To start with there aren't good road racing type diff's for them, so we tend not to use them. I don't have one, nor do any of the customers I have locally. So it was unknown to us for a long time they wouldn't work. And frankly, to expect a part made for the stock axle to fit something that different is a bit unreasonable.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And frankly, to expect a part made for the stock axle to fit something that different is a bit unreasonable.
Excellent Point, most items are designed to fit stock applications, not custom and other aftermarket set up's. I wish more people would understand this.

Ryan
Old 04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Hey, cool it. There is absolutely no need for that crap. And that's not my wife, but my mother. Not that it's called for, or that I'll tolerate that either way. I'm sure you wouldn't either.
Ok maybe i worded that wrong, but i was still treated unfair when i called. The first thing she asked me was what i was calling for so i told her, then she says "are you our customer or their customer". First off i bought the GC kit from another member so im not getting the point. Its like you only want to help your customers and not anyone else. The only reason i called your office to begin with is cause everyone referred me to you. No one knows the answer to anything but i guess if i had money up the *** someone would be able to figure it out and make it work, but thats not the case. Im sorry but thats just the way i feel... No pun intended i guess its the kits fault & GC's customer service and not yours......my apologies.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got my GC kit from Sam and I knew the issue going in. I have come up with a solution that I'm going to use, that will require a little cutting and maybe welding.

I have also seen this kit on a Moser 9", same perches as the 12 bolt and all they did was put a steel or aluminum sleeve in the perch and slide the GC collar over it. He must have used the heater hose mod on the top of the coil as well since the car sat relatively low even with the tall hat perches. This was on a hard core R/R autocross covertible SS, 315's on all corners and a 385 stroker up front. I know whos car it is and he may pipe in here as well.

I may be able to get some pics of his set up and drawings of my solution. If some one can host the pics. Mine will be on the car as soon as my shocks get here.

It is not that tough to solve this though. The Moser set up is nothing like the factory, so it is not Sam's or GC's fault.

BTW Sam was great to deal with and so was his Mom. I will be back for more parts!

Regards,
Rampant
Old 04-28-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

RAMPANT - I will host the pics for you. Send them to aaronmurray_AT_msn.com
Old 04-28-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 9" rear-end and the GC fit in like butter... don't know how different the 12-bolts are.
I went 9" because there is no decent cornering diff available in a 12-bolt... and I think the name calling was uncalled for, fwiw.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6']['9
Ok maybe i worded that wrong, but i was still treated unfair when i called. The first thing she asked me was what i was calling for so i told her, then she says "are you our customer or their customer". First off i bought the GC kit from another member so im not getting the point. Its like you only want to help your customers and not anyone else. The only reason i called your office to begin with is cause everyone referred me to you. No one knows the answer to anything but i guess if i had money up the *** someone would be able to figure it out and make it work, but thats not the case. Im sorry but thats just the way i feel... No pun intended i guess its the kits fault & GC's customer service and not yours......my apologies.

Ok. Here's the scoop.

Ground control has probably the worst customer service reputation on the planet. They make specific parts that do a job and do it well. They have very little else going for them. The first set of GC stuff I ever ordered didn't show up for 8 weeks. Why? They lost my order not once, but twice. When I called back, they acted like it was my fault they lost it. So, good parts, but otherwise, Ground Control is not your "customer service solution".

Now, Sam will spend hours on the phone helping people. He's done it for more people on these forums than you'd even imagine. The problem is, he is part of a small company and only has a limited amount of time in a day. The people who can't get help from ground control seem to start calling vendors who sell their parts for help. Now, Sam is very nice and will generally help anyone he can, but if he spends all day on the phone helping other companies customers (who are not supporting their business), when will he have time to support his own customers? If you'd bought it from him and not been given any assistance, you'd have been double pissed. And, if it was because he was helping people who didn't even buy stuff there (and you did), you'd probably be even more mad. So, it's an honest question "are you our customer, or their customer?".

You own an F-body right? If I call you every time my car wont start, are you going to run out and help me? You have the same car, you may as well help me with my problems (for free). You'll probably get a little mad at me after a while. Better yet, go to Wendys on your way home. Then, when you get home, call McDonalds to complain about your food. Do you think they are going to be much help? But you expect a different reply from a vendor. Both of those companies sell french fries. Even if not the same exact fries (that being the only potenital difference). You were not a McDonalds customer, you'd not call them about a problem with your food would you?

I'm not saying Sam won't help you, he generally will. But you have to realize that it costs time and money to do that. Some days they are very busy and just don't have the time for extra work to handle someone elses customers (but Sam's been known to stay late to take care of his own customers. That's just good business practice.)

So, if I understand you. It's unfair for them to be busy and only have time to help those who have spent money with them, but it's not unfair for you to call in and take up their time for your personal benefit at no gain to them (did you offer to pay a few dollars for the call, did you call the 800 number?). Wow.

And, I don't think you're blaming the right people here. Moser makes rear ends with "fabricated" brackets on them. The rear is not stock, it's not even desigened to duplicate a stock rear. The attachment points have been changed. If you were running a rear end from a company that used the factory 10 bolt bracket design, the parts would have fit. So, the blame lies somewhere between Moser and the person who bought the rear end.

I understand that you're frustrated. But, I don't think Sam has anything to do with your issues here. I suspect you'll need to cut/chop/weld etc to get those parts to work together (if they don't "just fit"). But, I'd have to have both items in front of me to be able to swear to that 100%.

And, I have dealt with Sam and his mother and they have been fantastic to work with. I'm sorry you had a bad day.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

btw, I know of a local guy that was having issues fitting GC on a 12-bolt... so I'm assuming 12-bolts don't use the same as the 9" and stock 10-bolt... so either grind both perch off and put the stock perch on the 12-bolt should be an easy solution.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
btw, I know of a local guy that was having issues fitting GC on a 12-bolt... so I'm assuming 12-bolts don't use the same as the 9" and stock 10-bolt... so either grind both perch off and put the stock perch on the 12-bolt should be an easy solution.
You are that person I was talking about Eugenio. I will post 2 different solutions, one is what is used on your car. I must admitt I'm not fond of the solution on your car but it works. The Moser 9" is identical to the 12 bolt. I have personally looked at both in detail.

It can be done with minmal effort. I will be ripping apart my car this weekend and will show at least my initial approach.

Again the Strano's have been most helpful with all this.

Regards,
Rampant
Old 05-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Launching!

I've done it. The Moser axles use a standard coil mount that you can get out of a circle track catalog. The GC rear perch is a steel sleeve, with a round steel "washer" (for lack of a better word) welded on it. There is a rubber O-ring put around the steel sleeve and the GC threaded aluminum sleeve is then pressed onto the steel sleeve, with the bottom sitting against the steel "washer". What I did was this. I pulled the GC assembly apart (pulled the threaded sleeve off the steel sleeve). Then I cut the tube portion of the moser bracket off. I opened up the ID on the lower spring pad to match the OD of the steel sleeve. Once I did that, I put the steel sleeve onto the now flat washer looking base of the moser axle, with the slight protrusion from the bottom of the GC perch sitting how it would on a stock rear axle. I Tig welded the GC sleeve onto the lower part of the moser mount... basically making a hybrid mount. Then I got a new O-ring, put it on the GC steel sleeve... then pressed the Aluminum threaded sleeve onto my hybrid mount. I have to be honest... I am not a big fan of the GC setup in the rear. Quite frankly I think it is unsafe if it is not welded in this way... even on a stock axle. That being said.. once done in this manner, I think it is the best of the options. If you use a Circle track threaded perch, it will be all steel, and the threads will rust up on you and you will lose your adjustability. I hope this helped.

PS- Eugenio_SS... How did you mount it?