Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake fitting question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fitting question...

I am making lines that split off on the rear end that go to either caliper, and I was wondering where I can get the correct fitting needed to attach the lines to the calipers. The fitting I have is the correct thread size (3/16's i believe?) but it is not long enough to hold the brake line in the caliper. So when I tighten the fitting to the caliper the line is still loose(I can wiggle it around). Where can I get the right fitting? I looked at murphy's auto and I looked on summit, but I couldnt find anything. I think the fitting needs to be a little over an inch long. Ill try to get pics over the weekend if no body know what the heck im talking about. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris
Old 05-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Restricted User

the steel lines should go out to rubber or SS flex lines,
that screw into caliper. What calipers are you using ?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are from an ls1 fbody. The lines come from the rubber line that bolts to the rear end and then T's off to the drive and passenger side. I bought some 3/16" brake line and bent them to fit from the T in the brakeline to each caliper and when I screwed in the flare fittings into the caliper but they did not screw far enough into the caliper to keep the brakeline snug.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hardline from the TEE travels along the the diff to a point where it connects to ANOTHER flex line that goes to the caliper.

Your description makes it sound lke you are running hard line all the way to the caliper ...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The hardline from the TEE travels along the the diff to a point where it connects to ANOTHER flex line that goes to the caliper.

Your description makes it sound lke you are running hard line all the way to the caliper ...
Yes that was my plan. I didnt know there was another flex line. Where might I get one of these flex lines? Or better yet, the entire brake lines from the T to both calipers?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because these cars have floating calipers, that is they move back and forth on guide pins, attaching them with hardline will, in effect, fix them in place. They just aren't designed for that ...

I have a set of used stock rear brake flex lines I would send you for the cost of shipping ...
Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Because these cars have floating calipers, that is they move back and forth on guide pins, attaching them with hardline will, in effect, fix them in place. They just aren't designed for that ...

I have a set of used stock rear brake flex lines I would send you for the cost of shipping ...

That sounds good to me....I didnt even know about the floating calipers and such. I appreciate all the help. You have a PM.

Last edited by 92CamaroReallySlow; 05-04-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake fitting question...