Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: What should my 1st suspension mod be?
Sway Bars - (35/25 Strano)
12.41%
Springs & Shocks - (BMR & Bilsteins)
45.62%
LCAs, Adj PHB & STB - (BMR)
39.05%
Rollbar & Seats - (BMR & Corbeau)
2.92%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

First Suspension Mod Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said, I already have BMR boxed SFCs on the car. I decided on the Koni SAs. I just need to know if I should get Sam Strano's 4/3 kit or spend the extra $100 for the 4/4 kit. Any suggestions? I had another post about this question in particular, but this thread seems to be getting more responses.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

IMO I would go...

1. LCA's with relocation brackets (for traction reasons), I would stay away from rod ended LCA's, too much noise for daily driving, plus you aren't taking to the track every weekend to IMO, it's overkill. I would look into BMR's poly/rubber LCA's, rubber for the body mount which helps with road noise and will reduce binding under hard turns.
2. APHR, since you are planning on lowering it
3. Shock/Springs, I would go with Strano revalved or SLP bilstein revalved with Hotchkis springs. I wouldn't go any lower then 1" since this is your daily driver
4. Torque Arm, I would go with the LG TA IMO, pricey, but a VERY nice peice. I'd look into either the spohn/BMR tranny mount TA.

I've had good luck with all my BMR stuff, I have boxed SFC, tubular LCA's, adjustable PHR and they have held up to my abuse

Try searching, I do it all the time and it HELPS A LOT!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't over analize this (though I think that might be too late). Do you think that $95 is worth it to have rear shocks that you can adjust quickly with no hassles? Or is $95 enough that it's worth taking 30 minutes to take the shocks off to adjust them.....

You have to decide Nick.... Opinions are like body parts, everyone has them but they are all different. I have to recommend you decide what *YOU* want...
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...Thanks

I will calling you shortly, Sam.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure if wwas mentioned but Thunder has a package for adj Pan hard bar,LCA relocation brackets and eibach springs for $350 and shocks depebding where u get 'em 300-500...made my car feel like a new ride!!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

None of the above. SFC's should be your first suspension mod. Some might call it a chasis mod but its ultimate result is to enhance the working of the suspension. IMO. And listen to Sam Jr, he knows best as well as having your best interest and not his on pockets in mind when he gives advice.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
None of the above. SFC's should be your first suspension mod.
He already has SFC....
Originally Posted by Nick D
Keep in mind I have a WS6 and BMR SFCs already.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Banned

ah, missed that. shocks and springs then
Old 06-08-2005, 05:24 PM

1. SFC's
2. LCA's
3. Panhard rod
4. Torque arm
5. STB

Another vote for UMI Performance. Their stuff is great quality and the prices can not be beat. They ship out fast too. I have gotten everything I ordered from them in 2-3 days.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by davered00ss
1. SFC's
2. LCA's
3. Panhard rod
4. Torque arm
5. STB

Another vote for UMI Performance. Their stuff is great quality and the prices can not be beat. They ship out fast too. I have gotten everything I ordered from them in 2-3 days.

Is that peanut butter on that control arm?

But why are the new lca's in the picture shorter than the factory lca?

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-09-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

Doesnt he already have all of the above? LCA's, PHB and TQ Arm? The factory stuff isnt hat bad, if your looking for a better ride and response shocks should do. I have the factory LCA's TQ ARM, PHB and dont have any problems at all. Zero wheel hop. stabilty, Talk to Strano about lca's and tq arms, the guy is the road racing king, I think he can give the best advice, though the looks of shiny new parts is alluring, they might not be what your looking for. EXAMPLE, I thought I needed bigger sway bars when it was only an aligment adjustment that took care of the problem.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by davered00ss
1. SFC's
2. LCA's
3. Panhard rod
4. Torque arm
5. STB

I'd like to point out that this is coming from a source with stock shocks (just look at the picture), as well as the less desireable SS/WS6 bumpstops and spacers vs. the better and more progressive Z28/Formula bumpstops.

In short, and something has to be pointed out.... How can you recommend against shocks and springs when one doens't have them??????

I'll also point out that my car is *sorta* a good handler as it won me another SCCA National Championship last year, and it doesn't have LCA's, SFC's, or a STB. I do have a PHB because of the lateral loads we put on them from the tires, and a torque arm for brake hop (but the torque arm isn't really much of a handling device).
Old 07-14-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'll also point out that my car is *sorta* a good handler as it won me another SCCA National Championship last year, and it doesn't have LCA's, SFC's, or a STB. I do have a PHB because of the lateral loads we put on them from the tires, and a torque arm for brake hop (but the torque arm isn't really much of a handling device).
That's fantastic, Sam.

But don't you compete in a class where LCAs, SFCs and STBs are illegal? So noone has those parts, right?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Call Sam at Stranos and tell him what you are trying to do. I dont think you should use the BMR springs with the Bilsteins. Bilstein specifically state that these shocks are not for use on lowered cars.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
That's fantastic, Sam.

But don't you compete in a class where LCAs, SFCs and STBs are illegal? So noone has those parts, right?
That thought crossed my mind as well, but why did you dig this up from the grave?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

First time I had read it ... and it was at the top of my list of unread threads yesterday.

Not sure why or how it got bumped to the top ... maybe someone deleted a post? :dunno:

Sam does compete in FS, right? And it just kind of confused me. I thought maybe he had moved to ESP or even CP and I didn't read or hear about it. That statement made it sound like he competes against cars that do have those modifications. You admitted as much in your response.

If he did make that move, it was big news, to me at least. I would be anxious to read about how those changes affected other parts of his set-up.

Now that I have thoroughly and completely explained my motives, I wish some of you would just stop reading so much between the lines. How can Sam and I get beyond our differences if the peanut gallery keeps stirring the pot? making more into what's there than actually is? And why do some you feel the need to come to Sam's aid so often? can he not defend himself IF he feels threatened? There was no attack there, brother. The statement simply made me wonder if things had changed and I didn't know about it. That's all ... nothing more ... I have moved on ... I would hope that you would do the same.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Sam does compete in FS, right? And it just kind of confused me. I thought maybe he had moved to ESP or even CP and I didn't read or hear about it. That statement made it sound like he competes against cars that do have those modifications. You admitted as much in your response.

If he did make that move, it was big news, to me at least. I would be anxious to read about how those changes affected other parts of his set-up.

Mitch, check Sam's sig. (just clarifying the facts)

Sam Strano Jr.
2002 & 2004 SCCA ESP National Champion
2002 SCCA F-Stock ProSolo Champion
814-849-3450
800-729-1831
He's won FS and ESP, but his Camaro is an ESP car and has been for a while.

Not getting involved, taking sides or anything else. Just answering your question.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have signatures turned off. Too much clutter, too much "look at me" .....

Kevin, there are no sides to take, as far as I'm concerned. I just asked a very simple question ... others seem to be trying to make something that just isn't there ...

I have moved on ...
Old 07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The class I chose to run in I'm not allowed those things. However, I don't care because having driven customer's cars setup just like mine but WITH those things, there was not difference in speed.

Meanwhile I notice that Mitch doesn't say a word about my point that the car in the this thread that is the basis for having to have LCA's and the like having stock shocks is completely ignored.....
Old 07-15-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sam, I didn't ignore it. You answered the question. There was nothing for me to add. Please explain what you would want me to say?

PLEASE let's get past this.

I have sent you numerous apology threads from other "run-ins", none of which were ever answered. There is nothing more I can do.

I have all but stopped posting in threads where you show up in on this site. I stopped posting in the LS2.com suspension and RR/AX sections. And since the bumpstop "debate", my time on FRRAX is significantly scaled back.

I guess I should stop posting there as well.

Quick Reply: First Suspension Mod Poll