Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground Control Coilover Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ground Control Coilover Questions...

Can you buy this kit for just the front (and if so, where) and also, what shocks are compatible with this? I have Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs up front right now. I've also got Bilstein HDs in the rear with the Pro Kit springs but will be putting the stock spring (without the isolator) back in ASAP. If I could get coilovers on the front to raise it up a little while still keeping my shocks and/or springs that would be ideal. Just wondering what my options are here and where I can buy the stuff at.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Sam Strano and tell him exactly what you typed here...he'll give you the options.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Call Sam Strano and tell him exactly what you typed here...he'll give you the options.
He's the one to call, and he can sell you just the fronts like you want. GC's aren't universal, there are slight differences to fit the different shocks. You'll have to get new front springs too. You can't reuse your Pro-Kits or any other direct replacement spring. The good news is you can pick your new spring rate in 25# increments.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Banned

WS6 store is way cheaper dude, you should call Mike.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joblo1978
And cheaper is always better than knowledge and experience...
Old 07-02-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

I've bought from both, but in this case, Sam's actually about the same, if not cheaper, Sam has more options, and more experience.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also get them direct from ground control
Old 07-02-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SVC707
you can also get them direct from ground control

And shoot yourself in the head dealing with all the problems they give you. (GC the company, not the product) Their customer service blows......
Old 07-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
And cheaper is always better than knowledge and experience...
Hello? Don't get mad because you paid more for the same **** I did! A ground control kit is a ground control kit no matter who it's bought from dude. Maybe I'm a minority in that I know what I want before I get it and find the best price? That's what this thread was about. Does my car go faster and handle better depending on who I buy it from? No. Besides, both sponsors put an order into ground control for you to fab it up so it really doesn't matter who you buy it from because it all comes from the same place.
We're comparing apples to apples here.

Bottom line, WS6 stores (who lists 369.00) prices on the ground control setup are cheaper than Strano (who quoted 429.00) and Ground Control themselves by ~$60. So do this Josh99TA, there's lots of posts on this forum about the setup and spring rates and all that other ****. Research that, select what you want, put an order in through the WS6 store. Not bashing any sponsors here, just trying to save someone some change. Technical advice is great and all but every sponsor has tech support. I think sponsors here could be a bit more competetive at times on certain items.

<----Waiting on Ground Control right now 540 lb. front and 150 lb. rear. FROM THE WS6 STORE AND GROUND CONTROL.

Last edited by joblo1978; 07-02-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by felton316
And shoot yourself in the head dealing with all the problems they give you. (GC the company, not the product) Their customer service blows......
dealer cost *AHEM*

know what you want before calling them... like stated above
Old 07-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Banned

Whelp, somebody has to be their customer, it could be Myself, Mike, or Sam for that matter. The customer service that Ground Control renders its customers is irrelevant here. If you want the stetup, you have to go through them one way or another.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Last edited by joblo1978; 07-02-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

I've dealt with them directly many times...... Now, I just let Sam Strano worry about it. In no way am I bashing their product. Its great and I love mine to death, but try calling them to see where your drop shipment is, when it left, or if it even exists. They can't help you with ****, even if its sitting right in front of them with your name sitting on it.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Banned

I've dealt with them directly many times...... Now, I just let Sam Strano worry about it. In no way am I bashing their product. Its great and I love mine to death, but try calling them to see where your drop shipment is, when it left, or if it even exists. They can't help you with ****, even if its sitting right in front of them with your name sitting on it.

No they won't tell you, you have to go through their vendor. Is that such a problem? I called ground control, they told me that ****, I called Mike at the WS6 store who called them and 5 min. later called me back and told me when I would have my parts. I ordered my setup on the 29th of June, it will be here on the 14th and on the car on the 15th. Mike even said Ground Control was swamped. I had to wait 2 weeks before having my setup in hand and that is with the 4th of July in that timeframe.

Bottom line, I'm very pleased with the service I got from the WS6 store and Ground Control.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree on trying to find the lowest price on things like clear signals and halo's, but not on a high dollar mod like suspension. The extra few bucks spent going through someone that you will be able to contact a day to a year down the road when you want to change your suspension again is worth it.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Hello? Don't get mad because you paid more for the same **** I did! A ground control kit is a ground control kit no matter who it's bought from dude. Maybe I'm a minority in that I know what I want before I get it and find the best price? That's what this thread was about. Does my car go faster and handle better depending on who I buy it from? No. Besides, both sponsors put an order into ground control for you to fab it up so it really doesn't matter who you buy it from because it all comes from the same place.
We're comparing apples to apples here.

Bottom line, WS6 stores (who lists 369.00) prices on the ground control setup are cheaper than Strano (who quoted 429.00) and Ground Control themselves by ~$60. So do this Josh99TA, there's lots of posts on this forum about the setup and spring rates and all that other ****. Research that, select what you want, put an order in through the WS6 store. Not bashing any sponsors here, just trying to save someone some change. Technical advice is great and all but every sponsor has tech support. I think sponsors here could be a bit more competetive at times on certain items.

<----Waiting on Ground Control right now 540 lb. front and 150 lb. rear. FROM THE WS6 STORE AND GROUND CONTROL.
And all I have to say is there isn't a "540" front spring for that kit. They use Eibach ERS springs, 2.5" ID, and they are made in 50 pound increments only. You can have 500, or 550.... but not 540.........
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And all I have to say is there isn't a "540" front spring for that kit. They use Eibach ERS springs, 2.5" ID, and they are made in 50 pound increments only. You can have 500, or 550.... but not 540.........

Sorry, I meant 450. That was a typo on my part. Here they are installed on the car. I just installed yesterday.

The ride isn't much different from the prokit as far as the front is concerned. The back is a totally different story. I don't get the bounce in the rear the I had with the prokit thus making the car feel more solid. I chose to raise the car up a little bit from the prokit. 1/4 in the front and 1/2 or so in the rear and I feel that my car finally has the appearance of being lowered yet looking level.

Overall, I liked my prokit and won't tell anyone that they suck. Hell, I'm still running Eibach springs on the front. I sold them to a member on this forum yesterday and I'm sure that he will be happy with them. I was happy when I had them but I just couldn't adjust them.

BTW, I e-mailed Mike at the WS6 store and told him thanks for the great service, he apologized for them taking so long. I don't think they took long at all.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last time I bought GC stuff, I bought it direct. The rear kit I ordered never showed up. I called them, they asked if I'd ordered it. Yes, I ordered it..... Well, we don't show it, we'll put your order in.

Few weeks later, I call and have the same conversation with them, identical. They lost the order again. I reorder it (for the 3rd time).

About 3-4 weeks later, it shows up at my door step. Total time was about 4 months between the lost orders and them finally getting it shipped to me. It's much easier to deal with a vendor than direct.

They still make a great product though.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
The last time I bought GC stuff, I bought it direct. The rear kit I ordered never showed up. I called them, they asked if I'd ordered it. Yes, I ordered it..... Well, we don't show it, we'll put your order in.

Few weeks later, I call and have the same conversation with them, identical. They lost the order again. I reorder it (for the 3rd time).

About 3-4 weeks later, it shows up at my door step. Total time was about 4 months between the lost orders and them finally getting it shipped to me. It's much easier to deal with a vendor than direct.

They still make a great product though.
How much did they charge for the kit direct? do the coil overs come with the springs? do they also carry shocks for the kit?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the kit for a 3rd gen, and about 6 or 7 years ago at that (my original rear adjusters don't say "Ground Control" on them like they do now). I think the rear adjusters were much cheaper then (about 1/2 of their current cost) and springs are about the same. However, they sell for "retail" or they did the last I looked on their website. And, yes, they do carry a good selection of shocks.

Quick Reply: Ground Control Coilover Questions...