Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quick question please

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick question please

I have Qa1's in the front and I know the car is aligned right now since it had aligned just a month ago. My question is I commute on the freeway 90 miles five days a week and the neg .9 of camber is prematurely wearing the insides of my ft tires so I am going to raise the front of the car 1/4 of an inch to take some of the neg camber out since the alignment shop told me it is already maxed out to full positive and it was left at neg .9 with no more adjustment to go positive left in it. The car sits pretty low. It is lowered about 1 3/4 inched in ft right now so if I raise it 1/4 inch will the alignment have to be rechecked or should I not worry about it? THe shop is saying it could affect the toe just by raising it 1/4 inch are they right?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant see -1 degree causing inside tire wear. i ran -2 on the street for almost 2 years on nitto 555RII's and saw no issues. i would try another shop. i was told once my car would only go to +1 on one side, i took it to another shop and it aligned fine. returned to the original shop to find that one of the employees admitted to dropping the alignment head. sounds like your toe is out.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the fast reply I am taking it to another shop to recheck the alignment before I have to raise the ft. I hope the toe is out and the ft can stay low. I thought neg .9 would not affect the tire wear that much. I will post again after this next alignment. thanks again.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

well car is at another alignment shop which I know is good and they felt the tires with their hands before actually working on the car and they told me it is definetly a camber problem not a toe problem maybe there is more than neg .9 camber in the ft which is causing the inside tire wear? Anyway the tires are kuhmo MX's which are pretty soft and maybe that is why the inside is wearing so easy? Those nitto's are probibly just as soft though? I will repost after picking the car up today.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 52172
well car is at another alignment shop which I know is good and they felt the tires with their hands before actually working on the car and they told me it is definetly a camber problem not a toe problem maybe there is more than neg .9 camber in the ft which is causing the inside tire wear? Anyway the tires are kuhmo MX's which are pretty soft and maybe that is why the inside is wearing so easy? Those nitto's are probibly just as soft though? I will repost after picking the car up today.

my last trip to the alignment shop was due to inside tire wear. i thought it was a toe issue. turned out to be a tierod issue. both sides had started to get loose.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Take this for what it's worth, but I had Kumho MX's set at -.8 (all I could get) and a slight bit of toe out. I autocrossed that way and drove to and from events that way, 45 miles each way. Also did a track day and drove 800 highway miles round trip to do that. All that done, by time I was at the wear bars, the outsides were still more worn than the insides.

Are these shops giving you print outs or actual #'s for your toe and camber settings?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

the first alignment shop gave me a print out that showed neg .9 camber ft rt and neg .5 camber ft lt. This new alignment shop is also going to give me a print out and no I was at work to see the actual numbers, but I trust this new alignment shop. I think after hearing your story for what it is worth was the first shop was full of ****. My camber must have been more like neg 3 degrees for the inside to be to the wear bars with only 10,000 miles mostly highway and the outside almost 80 percent tread. Agree?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

-3 degrees of camber? Most people are happy to be able to get -1 out of stock a-arms. Even slammed cars don't get much more than that.

The reason I said to take my comments for what thy're worth is because I abuse the outsides autocrossing. I only got 4000 out of my MX's, and that was wearing them down well below street legal.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

well here is the specs that the ft was at camber was -.7 ft left and now it is +.2
" " -.82 and now it is +.12
toe was + 3/32 and now it is 0
toe was -1/32 and now it is 0
looks like the tire wear mas mainly due to the toe being off now the toe is zero both sides one side was pos 3/32 and the other was neg 1/32 wtf? Do you guys think that the new camber being slightly positive will take away from handling? Most of my driving is highway miles, but when I am not on the highway I like to drive the backroads really fast. Maybe when I replace the ft tires I will have them dial in slight negative camber again what do you think? Was the toe settings the reason for the inner tire wear and not the neg camber?????????????
Old 05-12-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Can I assume the left and right wore unevenly?

Quick Reply: Quick question please