Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

do i really need adjustable panhard bar???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy do i really need adjustable panhard bar???

i am installing the prokit this weekend and i was told i would need the adjustable panhard bar. i have no idea what it is for. i am using my stock shocks system for now, so i was wondering if i need the adjustable panhard bars, or can i get a nonadjustable panhard bar? please post with some answer since i dont know anything about the whole process of lowering a car.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes you do. The panhard bar centers the rear axle under the body. When you lower the car, the panhard bar swings in an arc, pushing the entire rear axle to the driver's side of the vehicle. To compensate for that, the bar needs to be adjusted to a shorter length in order to re-center your axle. If you're looking for a good panhard bar, check out Trackbird. He's a member here.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UMI Performance has a quality adjustable p/h bar for cheap.....they are a sponsor....
John
Old 05-12-2005, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

i was told you only needed a panhard bar if you went down more than an inch....

is this true???
Old 05-12-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, ideally you want to get an adjustable panhard bar if you do any change in ride height. As the ride height changes, the axle swings in an arc. The center doesn't only move if you drop x number of inches. If you want a suspension that performs well, I'd recommend getting one anyway because it eliminates a large amount of flex that the stock bar allows, as well as eliminating the deflection of the factory rubber bushings if you decide on a rod ended bar. For a panhard rod, I haven't experienced any noise concerns that would drive even the most critical owner away from rod ends. I've only heard the softest noise coming from the bar with the radio off, engine at idle, and traveling extremely rough roads.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, you don't NEED one, but it is a nice thing to have. You can drive it around just fine with the stocker. When you WILL need one is if you are trying to squeeze really wide tires under there.

As for the rod ends...well, aparently I am the most critical owner. I've had cheap rod ends in the LCAs and panhard rod, I've had expensive rod ends in the LCAs and panhard rod, and they all rattled. The expensive ones didn't start doing until about 1000 miles had passed, but they eventually got worse. Even the panhard rod that everyone said wouldn't rattle. I will stick with poly for the rest of my car's life, even if it will bind from time to time. If I go to race my car around the twisties, then I'll put the rod-ended parts back in.

Take advice on here with a grain of salt...like has been said, welcome to the internet, where everyone is a mechanic and has a 10 second car.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

well this guy is usin a pro-kit so his is more critical than mine

im running stock wheels and tires and only comin down an inch just for a lil more stance
so i dont know if its worth gettin a panhard bar now or wait till i get wheels and tires...

is it???

help the guy with the pro-kit out first, this is his thread but i figured i would help out and try to get some help at the same time without startin a new thread

thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

im going with BMR springs here pretty soon and was wondering about the quality of the UMI adjustable panhard bar. im clueless as to which aphb to go with. i will also have 295/35/18 tires in the rear. any help??????/
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I meant to mention the fact that my experiences were with high quality rod ends. I didn't say that anyone complaining of noise is wrong, I simply documented my experiences in my vehicle.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
Sorry, I meant to mention the fact that my experiences were with high quality rod ends. I didn't say that anyone complaining of noise is wrong, I simply documented my experiences in my vehicle.
I think it is all about tolerance...I have very little tolerance for rattles, as I go over some rough spots and drive through a very rough parking lot every day going to work. I also know exactly what I'm listening for. I was hoping that getting high quality rod ends would cure it, but it didn't. I will always be skeptical of anyone that claims rod ends won't rattle, and I will try to put my $.02 when anyone recommends them to people saying that they don't.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i bought my car last spring it was already lowered 2 inches and i thought it had an adj panhard, but it was just a standard aftermarket rod.......i'm not the most demanding guy on handling, but it's fine on the street and at the (drag)track.....i've done "quickie" measurements the few times i've had the rear off and back on and it's pretty much centered, maybe some cars are different.....
Old 05-13-2005, 05:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by jdustu
when i bought my car last spring it was already lowered 2 inches and i thought it had an adj panhard, but it was just a standard aftermarket rod.......i'm not the most demanding guy on handling, but it's fine on the street and at the (drag)track.....i've done "quickie" measurements the few times i've had the rear off and back on and it's pretty much centered, maybe some cars are different.....
If it isn't centered, it usually isn't by much...
Old 05-13-2005, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

i guess ill see what mine is like after i lower it, if i do need it after i lower it then ill purchase a used one of the forum.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Yes you do. The panhard bar centers the rear axle under the body. When you lower the car, the panhard bar swings in an arc, pushing the entire rear axle to the driver's side of the vehicle. To compensate for that, the bar needs to be adjusted to a shorter length in order to re-center your axle. If you're looking for a good panhard bar, check out Trackbird. He's a member here.

Ive got the same bar too. Way better than the stock one.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1FIRE
Ive got the same bar too. Way better than the stock one.
Unbelieveable difference for just swapping a panhard bar isn't it? And everyone seems to think it does nothing but recenter the rear.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Unbelieveable difference for just swapping a panhard bar isn't it? And everyone seems to think it does nothing but recenter the rear.
Yea there was defenatly a noticable differnce in hadling and stability. The rod ends feel way more responsive too.

Quick Reply: do i really need adjustable panhard bar???