Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cheap drilled/slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra29svt
anyways, point is i wouldnt waste $$$ on plain rotors that will probally warp again if you need new rotors.buy cross drilled and slotted.
Check out the link I posted...
Slotting and Drilling wont prevent the rotor from warping.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ones from Rotorpros cost about $50ea with any combo of drilled, slotted, dimples or plain you want. They have silver or black zinc coating. If you want the hubs painted, that costs a little more. Most importantly, they have a good reputation for not warping on these cars.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thats a good deal.

what pads are you running?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm running some badass Carbotech Panther Pluses. They're dusty and squeek some (not very loud, though), but stop big time with a strong initial bite. I don't need to upgrade these pads.

Here's some pics when I put Williams S2 pads on. I've since changed the pads to the Panther+, scuffed up the rotors and painted the calipers yellow. I'll be posting pics soon.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/304479-another-painted-rotors-calipers-thread-silver-black.html

Here's one of the newer pics where I Photoshopped the rim centers black.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best inexpensive brake setup ive found (and own) is from tire rack

get the brembo blanks and hawk hps pads all around. car stops awesome on the street, some dust not bad though, no noise, and cheap

cross drilled and slotted crap is for looks
Old 05-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
the best inexpensive brake setup ive found (and own) is from tire rack

get the brembo blanks and hawk hps pads all around. car stops awesome on the street, some dust not bad though, no noise, and cheap

cross drilled and slotted crap is for looks
I've been using my Duralast rotors from Autozone for about a year now, and they're still working fine with hawk pads For the money, you can afford to replace them yearly
Old 06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

My kit from Wholesale Direct is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. $299 with shipping and some fluid is really a pretty good deal for a complete set of rotors and pads. Sure there are better kits out there like the Baer's or the C5 swap, but for the price, and the 1 year guarantee against cracking, it's hard to argue. I don't expect any increase in braking performance, maybe less fade since they should cool better, but it should be far better than the current warped rotor, worn out pad set up I'm running currently
Old 06-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Check JC Whitney --- I bought drilled and slotted rotors made in Canada for $60 ea.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cobra29svt
i wouldnt waste $$$ on plain rotors that will probally warp again if you need new rotors.buy cross drilled and slotted. just ordered some for the ws6 for $219 shipped.good luck
This makes 0 sense. Most of the drilled rotors out there start off as blanks you buy elsewhere. THe difference is the blanks can be turned if warped, and aren't any more susceptible to warping if you buy the same blank to begin with anyway. If they were to warp, you're up the creek with the drilled versions. Performance and durability>bling
Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

absolut_speed, I think he is basing his comment on the theory that the drilled rotors will run cooler due to the holes and therefore be harder to warp.

The problem is that the racers have shown that the x-drilled rotors do not run cooler, therefore there shouldn't be a difference in whether it will warp or not warp. That is what I keep hearing.

Personally, I think everyone should focus more on the pads instead of the rotors. That is what's going to save your life and your car.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Launching!

I agree with JasonWW - your pads are whats important. The crossdrilling benifit is neligeble and slotting is no benifit. you can buy good rotors for $35 - 40 each or so and even then, the major concern are the fronts. I have hardly ever had any rear rotors warp. I'm not one for bling, but i know performance.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

I agree that the pads make the most difference in stopping.

However, my experience with stock rotors is that they warp and I have warped the front and rear with stock rotors and have replaced them with Brembo blanks and no more warping.

So, when you replace the stock rotors get something that is better and the Brembo IMO are a good buy. Also, for pads I have found the Hawke pads to be a great buy for quality, performance, and price.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Excuse me if I'm repeating myself, but I think the general consensus is that the stock rotors and replacement rotors from GM for these cars are just made with a poor mix of metals and are prone to warping. Just about any other brand would be considered an improvement.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Launching!

yes- gm rotors are junk IMO. I like Bendix rotors form advance auuto parts - i have used Foster units in the past and they were pretty good for the price, cheaper than Bendix by about 20/rotor on avg.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

I know for a fact yuo acn get a pair of BAER drilled nad slotted rotors at Autozone for a bout $316. If you want to go cheap: go to E-bay and get something made in Nicaragua. Either way, drilled nad slotted arent what theyre acracked up to be. Dont get me wrong- the stoppign time and look is awesome- but notice how there's never more than a two eyar warranty? casue they have a tendency to crack and get fractured: just another thing to worry about. That, and they grate pads like fine cheese.
-phoenixta99
Old 06-12-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phoenixta99
I know for a fact yuo acn get a pair of BAER drilled nad slotted rotors at Autozone for a bout $316. If you want to go cheap: go to E-bay and get something made in Nicaragua. Either way, drilled nad slotted arent what theyre acracked up to be. Dont get me wrong- the stoppign time and look is awesome- but notice how there's never more than a two eyar warranty? casue they have a tendency to crack and get fractured: just another thing to worry about. That, and they grate pads like fine cheese.
-phoenixta99
phoenixta99, you really need to be more specific. Only under race conditions will you possibly develop cracks or a fracture, but that is true of blanks, also. On a street car, it should not be a problem.

$316 for 2 rotors that are no better than one's much cheaper? That's just crazy to me. No wonder Bear's aren't taken seriously.

I'm guessing you mention Nicaragua as a joke, but seriously, if they were making a good rotor, I don't care where it was made.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I put a few hairline cracks in the Rotorpros. I put too much heat in them at one time. Going to replace them with some blanks.

I suppose if you had less agressive pads and were on the street, they are OK. But with Panther+ and repetetive hard braking it's going to ruin them, get some blanks in that case.

Live and learn.

Quick Reply: cheap drilled/slotted rotors