Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear end jumping

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end jumping

I have eibach springs with the stock shocks and when I go through a corner or curve and hit a bump the rear end wants to jump sideways. Will new shocks fix this or what suspension upgrades do I need to make.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heh... get a car with an independent rear suspension... short of that, getting shocks that will get you better rebound should improve things a little, but the fact is that corners, bumps, solid axles and speed don't mix. solid axles are best suited to strait lines
Old 05-25-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be able to tune most of that (or all of that) out with rebound adjustment. Some Koni SA's should allow you enough adjustment to correct most of the problem (or all of it).

And, solid axle cars do very well in the twisties. Many race series run solid axles on road courses, it's not really unusual to do so.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yep, Koni SA's. Set them toward the low end of their range. And stay away from ultra-low profile tires on the rear, since the tire is part of the the rear suspension on these cars. 16 or 17 inch wheels are best. 18 is the largest, and with 19's you are loosing traction for sure. You need some sidewall back there to help with this problem. Also stay away from huge rear swaybars; 21 mm 1LE bar is just right.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

not saying solid axles don't work, just that IRS is better... how many legit road race cars run solid front axles? Not too many. "Suicide" front suspension is a good nickname for it. And when I look at formula 1 cars, the vehicles i believe to be the best road machines out there, I see fully independent suspensions... Yeah yeah, there are crappy IRS setups and there are fantastic solid axle setups and like we all said, shocks can help and so on and so forth, not trying to start a fight, just venting. have a good day
Old 05-25-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

He asked how to correct his problem. Telling him to get an independent rear suspension is rather pointless. I'm only stating this because it appears he already has a "stick axle" car and is trying to tune it. So, it's pointless to start a debate about the merits of both suspension designs instead of just answering his question. I'm pretty sure he's not going to change the car to an independent setup, or sell it.

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
not saying solid axles don't work, just that IRS is better...
Ok.....We appreciate the update.

how many legit road race cars run solid front axles? Not too many.
Not really relevant to the original question.

And when I look at formula 1 cars, the vehicles i believe to be the best road machines out there, I see fully independent suspensions...
Actually, F1 cars are terrible road machines. Just try driving one on a real road.

Yeah yeah, there are crappy IRS setups and there are fantastic solid axle setups and like we all said, shocks can help and so on and so forth
Yes there are, and he needed setup advice on one of the better solid axle setups.

not trying to start a fight, just venting.
As long as you believe that.

have a good day
I will, and you should too.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
And, solid axle cars do very well in the twisties. Many race series run solid axles on road courses, it's not really unusual to do so.
Talk about relevance. Some race series run lawn mowers.

Anyway, my appologies trackbird, didn't realize it was you that I was ing with
Old 05-25-2005, 03:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You need better shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: rear end jumping