Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel stud replacement, Rotor will NOT come off

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel stud replacement, Rotor will NOT come off

Ok, I need to replace 2 wheel studs on my driver rear wheel.

I've removed the caliper bracket and all the little retainers on the wheel studs.

The damn rotor will NOT come off. I've soaked the whole damn thing in WD-40 and have been beating the hell out of it. I'm using a 2x4 and I've hit the **** out of it all around the hub, on the back side, I've tried everything I can and my hands are killing me from hitting it so hard.

How do I get this damn thing off of here?

Only if I didn't want to clean the damn wheel wells for G9 this **** would've never happened.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If I have to, would it be safe to drive the car to a shop that's .1 or .2 miles away at a top speed of 35? Thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotor is off finally. wooooooohoooooooooooo

Now, do I need to have both tires off the ground and have the car in N to spin the stud around to where it'll come out the speed sensor?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Justt one tire off the ground, in nutral, e-brake off. Bang away.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:08 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a tool called J 43631 (Ball Joint Remover) that's supposed to be helpful for getting the wheel studs out, for future reference

'Official' tips on rotor removal, FWIW:

1. Ensure that the park brake is released.

2. Raise and support the vehicle.

3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

4. Remove the brake caliper and the caliper mounting bracket as an assembly from the rear axle and support the assembly with heavy mechanic's wire, or equivalent; ensure that there is no tension on the hydraulic brake flexible hose. Do NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper. (Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.)

5. Remove the brake rotor. Do not force the rotor off. If the rotor is difficult to remove, ease it off by gently rotating it as you pull outward.