Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I need to lower my front end about 1" or so

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:52 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need to lower my front end about 1" or so

What should I do? The back is fine, removed the isolators, but the front needs to come down. This is on a 2002 Z28 and I need something for dragstrip/ street use. No stiff *** lowering springs please. I'm thinking of cutting the front coils down but not sure if my goals can be reached that way?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get some Koni SAs and use the lower perch?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cut my springs no problems lowerd it about 2inches going to get some new pics so you can see it better

Old 05-30-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michelinss
i cut my springs no problems lowerd it about 2inches going to get some new pics so you can see it better
Either your bottoming out hard or you drive real slow. Either way, I doubt you like the ride. Please tell us about the ride.

I wouldn't lower more than 3/4" through cutting the front springs. As you lower, you reduce your suspension travel. With reduced travel, you need stiffer springs to compensate. With a 2" drop on cut factory springs your rate is about the same as the Eibach Sportline but with a lower ride height. That is just not good.

If 3/4 or so will do it for you, then you can cut the spring without taking it off the car. Better bumpstops would help the travel and ride as well, but require a teardown to install.

Better shocks will definetly help all around. Ride will be better, will be less likely to bottom and handle better.

Quick Reply: I need to lower my front end about 1" or so