Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handleing???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Handling???

Hello all,
I have searched and searched and want an honest answer, what is the best suspension brand parts for autox and roadracing??? G2???? Spohn???? UMI???? BMR???? I am looking for the best at the best price......I wanna get in on some of these memorial day sales so post up guys!!!!!!
Thanks

Last edited by 2002RamAir; 05-27-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LG and UMI will both take good care of you. Don't forget shocks and swaybars (Koni's and Strano sway bars or suspension techniques bars).
Old 05-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO no one company sells the best of everything. Call Sam Strano and get his recomendations for each part. You can find him on www.frrax.com
Old 05-28-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Listen to those two guys... they're both smart...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

YES Sam's the Man!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the wonderful world of handling imrovement. Yes, definitely digest those drivers' information, they really know this field.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy asked for opinions, not a freaking phone number ... Might as well tell him to look in the yellow pages ...

2002RamAir ...

You want quality, good price and works well ... you should probably pick 2 attributes and go from there.

I have always been a fan of LG Motorsports for a couple basic reasons ...

1 ... his parts were engineered in house and proven on a real 4th gen platform, taking Louo to several World Challenge Championships back when it was a real "world challenge".

2 ... he is local to me and I always felt welcome to stop by the shop and ask him questions and never felt "put down" when I questioned his answers. He would explain the dynamics of what the F platform is doing in certain situations. I have had the pleasure of having Lou's input as well as John Heinracy and Boris Said, both becasue I know Lou.

3 ... if something was wrong or the part broke, he ALWAYS stood behind the part, no questions asked ... we're talking race parts here, stuff not typically covered under a "warranty".

4 ... They worked. I have had Steve Spohn's parts, Grantelli's parts, Brett Rockey's parts, Eibach's, Koni's ... the car really came alive when I found "quality" parts.

I'm not telling you to call Lou ... I'm telling you to click on "search" and do some research for yourself ... unsolicited comments from folks who have walked down this path.

A quick plug for UMI Performance, though ... Ryan is one of the FEW vendors that truly seems to listen to customer feedback. His shop is another shop that builds their own parts, not just a middle man who drop ships other people's hard work.

I have not used his parts nor have I seen them in person. But, he and I came very close to working out a "deal" to use his parts on my CMC car and I saw some well engineered parts and heard some very encouraging words come from him. Unfortunately, I had already purchased, installed and tested my "hair brained, half-assed" set-up (which is working quite well without a sin of eminent failure)

It's definitely worth the effort to dig a little deeper. Afterall it's your money. I can spend your money all day long ... but I like sleeping at night.

Deciding on a set up is a VERY personal choice. Any of us can tell you what works for US and each of us would have a different setup on spring rate, shock choice, tire pressure and sway bar size.

Nothing is cookie cutter.

I encourage you to spend some time at a local track, query the hot shoes who drive heavy, RWD, high horsepower cars. Offer to help them ... you will be amazed at what you will learn in very short order.

I hope this DIRECTLY answers your question ... Good luck in your quest and be sure to post back your results.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I once again agree with the LG preference. I didn't take his stuff quite seriously, until I had "wasted" my money on several items for the "cheap, presitigous, and/or expensive" brands and didn't appreciate the way they were engineered. If not LG, then my other preferences would be Strano and UMI, since they are quite active on this board concerning their AX and RR parts.

The thing I noticed about parts from the vendors I mentioned is that they engineer to improve function instead of attempting to completely re-engineer the vehicle suspension dynamics.

Taking advantage of the best prices is definitely what I'd do, however not at the overall expense of quality of part and quality of performance.

Last edited by Foxxton; 06-01-2005 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

LG has taken good care of me in the past. UMI is comming up also. Ive seen a couple of his post and look forward to being one of his customers. Also sam strano will get my buisness when it comes time to order swaybars.