Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what shocks for sportline springs????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what shocks for sportline springs????

hey,i just put sportline springs on my 2000 ss with the stock shocks on it & it rides like shyyytttt.what shocks do i need to get, to fix this problem?????i like the lowered look & want to keep the sportlines but hate the ride!!! help please !!!!!!!!!!! thanx john
Old 05-30-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those springs are real low and soft plus you are probably using the stock bumpstops which are hard and limit suspension travel.

The Bilsteins are a quality shock and their bumpstops are softer and more progressive. They should make a huge difference in the ride quality as well as give you more suspension travel. So those are all good things.

Ideally you want a stiffer spring to help prevent bottoming as often, but that's another thread.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Those springs are real low and soft plus you are probably using the stock bumpstops which are hard and limit suspension travel.

The Bilsteins are a quality shock and their bumpstops are softer and more progressive. They should make a huge difference in the ride quality as well as give you more suspension travel. So those are all good things.

Ideally you want a stiffer spring to help prevent bottoming as often, but that's another thread.
hey,ok any bilsteins??? or what specific model #s??? thanx john
Old 05-31-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's only one for the front, it is simply called the Bilstein HD, but there are 2 that fit the rear. The 3rd gen cars and 4th gen cars shared the rear supension design. In the Bilstein design, they both will fit, but they have different valving.

The 3rd gen has a better low speed valving which is what helps control the body motions. Like accelerating, braking and cornering.

The 4th gen shock has a better high speed valving, so it is better suited for high speed cornering.
Most people prefer the feel of the 3rd gen rear shocks.

I don't know the part numbers off hand, but a good shop like Strano's will know which ones you are talking about. They set people up with those all the time. It's a popular combo. The fronts run about $96ea. and rears are $81ea.
You can also try calling Sam Strano Jr. If he is in the shop, ask him about the valving or your springs. He's a real whiz when it comes to suspension setups.
http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php
Old 05-31-2005, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had sportlines, then I bought Bilsteins to help control them. Then I chucked the sportlines and bought H&R springs. The H&R are a little taller, but a whole lot stiffer. They were too low and too soft for handling or driving in Michigan.

Brian