Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SubFrame Connecters: Who is using what? How do you like them? Which R Best? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SubFrame Connecters: Who is using what? How do you like them? Which R Best? Opinions?

Ok I want everyone’s opinions on sub frame connecters who are using what, how do you like them which ones don’t hit the car or exhaust. Just basically which ones are the best with no problems just straight up performance without having anything that can annoy you after installation, and that’s after a proper installation. Just having a hard time figuring out which ones I want to get on my 02 Z28 6 Speed... Let me know about your experiences!
Attached Thumbnails SubFrame Connecters: Who is using what? How do you like them? Which R Best? Opinions?-joe-gs-camaro.jpg  
Old 05-28-2005, 06:19 PM

I have BMR weld in Tubular SFC's. They tuck up nice and you can't see them from the side of the car without lying on the ground. Performance on all SFC's should be the same. I hear good things about the UMI performance SFC's too. Great prices and they are the same as the BMR's. The rest of my suspension is UMI.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here... I have BMR boxed. They're pretty dang heavy and they really made a difference on my car. I still can't figure out why anybody complains about the ground clearance thing... there is factory sheet metal on the car that protrudes lower than the subframe connectors. (I have seen pictures out there of BMR boxed that hang down lower, maybe those are and old design ??) This picture was meant to complain about crappy SLP header clearance, but you can see where the SFC connects.

they only stick down about a 1/4 of an inch below the pinch weld. The tunnel crossbrace among other things hangs down lower.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I forgot to mention. I would have liked to get one of those diamond designs but these cars are already short on exhaust clearance so I didnt want to get something that would interfere with the true dual setup i hope to have one day.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
Oh, I forgot to mention. I would have liked to get one of those diamond designs but these cars are already short on exhaust clearance so I didnt want to get something that would interfere with the true dual setup i hope to have one day.
You are correct, there isn't any ground clearance lost with the 2-point style boxed connecters, it just seems to be a rumor spread a long time ago.

Your stock exhaust will hang lower then the SFC's them selfs, I would never see a problem running this style.

Hope that helps some,
Ryan
Old 05-28-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Kenny browns DD's. They are awesome, good clearance as well. my only complaint is they need a better caoting to prevent rust. I had a small problem w/ this, nothing major at all, simply small spots of surface rust. any suggestions on some type of coating.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

See sig. I havent used any others so cant really compare them to others but I love them. Huge difference in handling, no more creaks and groans and I can jack the car at any point along the side. Heard people say weight is an issue with these but if I remember right they were just over 30 pounds. Not bad for the benefits IMO.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I have BMR weld in Tubular SFC's. They tuck up nice and you can't see them from the side of the car without lying on the ground. Performance on all SFC's should be the same. I hear good things about the UMI performance SFC's too. Great prices and they are the same as the BMR's. The rest of my suspension is UMI.

How much did you pay for the sfc install?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We paid $50 to have our BMR's welded on.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:24 AM
Launching!

UMI for boxed SFC's for sure. I just got 'em put on and i love the way my car handles everything that it didn't before. You could go KBDD's or the like, but I didn't want to sacrifice any possible exhaust clearance issues, if any.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

I got the SLP bolt-in. I love my SFC, and think it was one of the best mods I've done so far. There is nothing better than going around a corner and the car is rigid and stays "planted".

I know there is a lot of talk about if bolt-in work as well as weld-in. All I can say is I bet weld-in would be better, but the bolt-in seams to be just as good under my driving style. The advantage to the bolt-in is they can be removed if you need to sell the car or for some other reason. So if you get bolt or weld SFC, either one is going to be awesome.