Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My thoughts on drilled/slotted vs. blanks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts on drilled/slotted vs. blanks

OK first and foremost this was done on my 99 jeep grand cherokee limited, so sorry it wasn't on our cars, but good test none the less. Yes I know this is camaroz28.com, and I drive a camaro, so hear me out.

Ok anyone who knows about the 99 through 2004 generation of jeep grand cherokee limiteds, knows that they have HUGE problems with the front brakes. Overheating, warping, and other problems. Most owners can't go 10k miles without them warping. I figured perhaps cross drilled and slotted might solve this problem as they cool faster, and thus will last longer without warping. So, time comes to move myself out of my dorm in Blacksburg, VA (VT!), back to my home in Northern VA which is about 4 hours away in a normal car with the average driver (the Z gets her done it about 3 hours). Well since I had so much **** to take back to my house I went to go pick up my parents jeep. My lil sis had warned me that the brakes were terribly warped, and when you hit the brakes at over 40mph the steering wheel jerked and shooked violently right out of your hands. She wasn't kidding. So a few days before I left school for home, I told my mom that we needed to spend some extra money on quality rotors that we would save anyways cuz i was doing the install. So I got brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors. Now when I changed the rotors on my Z, I eventually went with brembo blanks to save the dough, but wanted cross drilled. Anyways I was excited about the idea of blinging out the brakes (and brakes only!! lol) on my jeep. Well weekend before the last week of school, and of exam week I got home and the brakes were late! Very pissed and frustrated, cuz I needed the Jeep then, and I had finals when I got back on monday, my mom told me just to get some el cheapo ones from nearby autozone just so the car was at least driveable for my 4 hour highway trip back to school. So I put those autozone blanks on and drove the car 4 hours to school, all around school for a week, and then 4 hours on the highway back. WEll the next week when I got home after school ended, the BREMBO's were waiting at home. BTW I put HAWK HPS pads on as well. The blanks felt ordinary, and weren't giving me any problems, and were slightly improved over the stock feeling since I had the HAWK pads. I was excited that I was going to be putting on the cross drilled and slotted's so that I could have a true side by side comparison. After painting the rotor hats black, and calipers so it would look sweet with my new setup, I got ready to take her for a test drive. The result? WOW. No joke, I wasn't expecting to feel a difference but DAMN. Those brakes felt so much more solid, braked a lot faster and harder, and just felt overall much more confident! I let my lil sis drive the car to get her verdict lol, and her response was the same as mine. The cross drilled's felt way better than the blanks. Now unfortunately this new rotor side by side test was not done on a Z28, but I just thought I would share. My verdict is that the slots help keep the pad surface fresh, and drillied holes keep rotors and pads cooler, and braking at its best. Hope you liked my story.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burnout04
Yes I know this is camaroz28.com, .................................................. ..................... Hope you liked my story.

Um.............. This is LS1Tech.com!

Last edited by SS LS1; 05-29-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:04 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Um, I think mind is trying to justify the expense.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roy
Um, I think mind is trying to justify the expense.
I'm with Roy.

If you'd tested the stopping distances between them (with a G-tech or Belltronics FX1 or FX2), then we'd have an actual discussion.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on drilled/slotted vs. blanks