Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Getting ready to improve handling and need advise from road racers

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to improve handling and need advise from road racers

I am looking to give my car some needed/wanted handling improvement. It is a daily driver but I want the best road handling I can get while driving on public roads and to be able to take it to a road track.

I am looking at the QA1 setup as follows:

#2 QA1 12 Way Single Adj. Front Shocks
#2 QA1-GenF-Spring (spring rate 325)

and

#2 Rear Coil Over Kit - QA1 Single Adj. Shocks

For the Rear Coil kit should I go with a spring rate of 170 or 200?

Also, I am getting the Spohn Adjustable Spherical Rod Ended Panhard bar.

Will I want to get anything else?

I would like any opinions or advise (especially from those that road race and use the same car as a daily driver)...
Old 06-05-2005, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

You probably won't want to use those QA1 shocks. From my understanding, they're more oriented towards drag racing. I'd recommend using some Penske's. Some food for thought on the spring rates... I've got 600/200 rate springs sitting in my garage (waiting for koni's of all things). Now I've been told that the rear rates are going to be too high for autox, but that's going to be a starting point for me. As long as you're interested in road racing... I'm a moderator over on http://www.frrax.com (F-body Road Race and AutoX). Come on by!
Old 06-05-2005, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
You probably won't want to use those QA1 shocks. From my understanding, they're more oriented towards drag racing. I'd recommend using some Penske's. Some food for thought on the spring rates... I've got 600/200 rate springs sitting in my garage (waiting for koni's of all things). Now I've been told that the rear rates are going to be too high for autox, but that's going to be a starting point for me. As long as you're interested in road racing... I'm a moderator over on http://www.frrax.com (F-body Road Race and AutoX). Come on by!
I was also considering Bilstein HDs to start and use the stock springs.

I know the Konis are probably best for front but I am still unsure. The QA1s seemed to have a good price but if they are geared more for drag than I probably would not be interested.

I was also curious how much I would benefit from a stronger torque arm and better LCAs (something that will not bind) as well as a panhard bar?

BTW, thanks for the site info. I will be checking it out.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I was also considering Bilstein HDs to start and use the stock springs.

I know the Konis are probably best for front but I am still unsure. The QA1s seemed to have a good price but if they are geared more for drag than I probably would not be interested.

I was also curious how much I would benefit from a stronger torque arm and better LCAs (something that will not bind) as well as a panhard bar?

BTW, thanks for the site info. I will be checking it out.
Koni's are the BEST shocks for superior handling and corner carving, no one has come close yet, with the exception of revalved Bilstein's, but they are not adjustable shocks. If you are going to go with adjustable shocks for road-racing purposes, Koni's are the way to go.

I got the double adjustable Koni's simply because I got them for a great price. Overkill for the street though.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to improve handling and need advise from road racers