Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some info on Cross Brace..

Old 06-05-2005, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info on Cross Brace..

Need some advice guys.

I have bolt-on SLP SFC's and GMMG exhaust. I had developed an annoying metal on metal sound in my suspension some where. My exhaust had also developed some drone/vibration at low rpm's. I figured my SFC's may have come loose and were vibrating and rubbing somewhere. I did use lock-tite on the SFC's but it had been 25K mi since I last looked at them.

So today I get my car up on 4 rhino ramps to take a look underneath. Very first thing I see....Cross brace is mangled The back half of it is bent back into the exhasut pipe. I did have an accident about 6 months ago but I have no idea why this would start now. Doesnt make sense ya know. It started as soon as I got my car back from the dealer when they replaced my water pump (burning coolant). I mean immediately to, I drove the car out of the dealers lot, and thought "Hmmm, my GMMG never droned before at ANY RPM....Strange." Then the suspension noise...I didn't get it. They shouldn't of messed with anything down there right?

So I took the cross brace off and tightened up my SFC's again. Its not gonna hurt anything to drive without it right? I am going to order another and get it back on, but in the meantime. Its a dumb question but I need the reassuarance. Thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

You'll be fine to drive without the tunnel brace installed. There are many, many people (myself included) that have removed it with no ill effects. Once you see just how flimsy the thing is, its hard to imagine it doing much in the first place. With that said, however, I would suggest you look into a driveshaft loop (DSL) that mounts to the tunnel brace attach points. This way you are getting the benefit of a DSL while still retaining a brace in that location. The Lakewood DSL (Jegs sells them for ~ $50), for example, will attach in the same fashion as the stock tunnel brace, its a much heavier gage material, it gives the benefit of a DSL, and it will clear most aftermarket exhaust setups including true duals. Definitely worth a look IMO.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the part. I see that most people like the fit and finish of their pieces.

Search this Thread