Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

parking brake lever help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default parking brake lever help

About 10 minutes ago I pulled up to school and parked. When I pulled on my parking brake lever, it went all the way up, almost to a 90 degree angle. I heard a "clink" type of noise then I put it back down. I proceeded to pull it up again and it seemed to ratchet back up just fine. I haven't tested it out on an incline to see if it'll hold the car or tried to move the car while it was up. I'm afraid something worse will happen.

Does anybody know what this might be, like if there's a spring that is necessary to make it work? Any info would be helpful.

Just as I'm about to put the hotchkis springs and kyb adjustables happens. I now have to replace a power window motor and maybe now this. Geez.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you had the car long?
That is just going to happen from time to time. Especially since you have a M6 and will be using it all the time. It's not really a problem, just put it down and pull on it again.

If it does this several times in a day or a week, then you might have something wrong that needs to be fixed. Otherwise it's no big deal.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It happens from time to time when you pull it up too hard. Its just the ratchet mechanism in the handle not engaing. Just pull it up slower for now on. Once it happens the first time, its easier to keep doing. Just be careful.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had the car for a little over 3 years now and have never had this happen to me. Previously, I had a '96 SOM z28 M6 and didn't have it happen when I had this car either. When I left school I checked the spring and it was still in place. It pulled up like nothing was wrong with it so I guess it was just the ratchet mechanism how both of you said. I pulled up on it and tried to move the car and it seemed to hold it. So, I guess nothing's wrong.

Thanks guys for the very quick responses.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine does this a couple times a week. no big deal really just annoying. im gonna remove the console again sometime in the future and I will see if i can fix it but otherwise its fine and mostly just scares the hell out of me when it pops. i think i just heman it too much

Quick Reply: parking brake lever help