Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cheap Lowering, Cutting Springs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheap Lowering, Cutting Springs...

EDIT:
Readers Digest Version - How much do I need to cut off of the big end of the front coil to lower the car 1/2" or achieve a 27" ride height measurement in the front?

Regular Version - OK folks, I need some clearance so I have to go up. I'd like to pick up some Konis to use with the stock springs but it just isn't going to happen. No money in the budget for that kind of purchase right now.

I picked up an extra set of stock front springs. I'm wanting to cut the front springs every so slightly and remove the rear isolator. With the rear isolator removed and 5/8" heater hose, what ride height should my rear sit at? I'd like the front to be 27-27.25". I'd really prefer the car to sit at 27" F, 27.25" rear all around. Stock height in the front is 27.5" most people say. How much of the first lower coil on the front springs do I have to remove to drop the car 1/2"? This will be a temporary setup until I can get the money for Konis to use of my stock, uncut springs. To assist the slightly cut springs I'm going to be using Bilstein HD shocks. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by josh99ta; 06-15-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately there is not going to be a plain and simple answer here. The rears, with being a very easy swap can be installed with the hose, and if the drop is not enough you can cut the spring a little more. Although a lot of work and time I'd cut a spring no more than 1/2 a loop at a time . . maybe even a 1/4 loop depending on how close, plus once a spring "settles" in the car may go down a bit too.

On the front I cut 1/2 a loop form my SLP Eibachs, and got the look I wanted, so again the same suggestion as above goes true, but dissassembly of the front spring is a PITA . . . .
Old 06-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Launching!

don't cut the spring. that is a very very bad way of doing things. I will not go into details or a speach, but all i'm gonna say is if you can't afford to do it right, wait until you can. There is no reason to comprimise your car, it's suspension or you, to get a lower car, which won't handle anywhere near as well as it would if you waited and bought the right lowering equipment.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, do not cut the springs
Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Ive had AZ Automasters cut springs on 2 of my cars and my cars handle better.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

What ever u do dont get eibachs they suck!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I've got Eibachs currently, like them more than any other spring combo I've had on the car (HALs, BMRs, G2s). Better ride than the others, equal handling to G2s, best stance out of all of the springs. Too low though with the exhaust, has to come up.

My problem is deciding between three options.

1: Stock springs cut, SLP/Bilstein shocks

2: Stock springs uncut, Koni SAs on lower perch (this shortens the shock travel though, I wonder about that)

3. Stock springs cut, Koni SAs on upper perch

Quick Reply: Cheap Lowering, Cutting Springs...